Hops in a rye ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddicker60

Reaction score
I want to make a rye ipa. Grain bill will be two row, rye malt, flaked rye and crystal rye. Looking for hops to counter that spicyness. I'm thinking citra and Amarillo? Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Look into some mosaic, and if you can find equinox hops( pepper and lemon notes)!? Some noble hops have some spice too!

Northern Brewer and Citra/Simcoe/Amarillo/Exp366.
Not all in the same brew,but NB and any one or two of those go great with rye malt

Does anyone know the hops in southern tiers 2x rye or founders red rye? Love those beers.

I did late additions of Citra/Mosaic (2oz a piece) and 1oz of Hallertau. Then dry hopped with 1oz each of Citra and Mosaic (30% grain bill of rye malt). Turned out pretty awesome.

Next time I will probably double the Citra and Mosaic late addition and double the dry hops (staggering the additions). As well experiment with some other types like Northern Brewer or something.

You should search for Denny's Rye IPA, it's delicious, I brew it frequently but the latest batch I made I used Saaz and Perle and it turned out terrific, I find they accentuate the spice of the rye really well.

I like using Mt.Hood when I've messed around with rye beers. Its not a counter to the spiciness, but I think the spicy qualities of the hop go well with rye

Here is what I was thinking for a 10 gallon batch
17lbs 2-row
5lbs rye malt
2lbs flaked rye
2lbs crystal rye
Hops
2oz of warrior @60
1oz each of citra and Amarillo @15,5,0
2 oz each at 180* for 30min hop stand
4oz each for dry hop

My rye ipa is based off the Widmer Bros O'Ryely ipa they had in rotation a while ago.

I use CTZ to bitter
and Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy for the late boil, whirlpool and DH additions.
You cant put too much Nelson Sauvin in any hoppy beer :mug:

I was thinking those two, but I did a wheat ipa and the flavors r muddled.

Made recipe below
17lbs 2row
6# rye malt
3# c-60

Fwh 1oz chinook and centennial each
15,5,0 1 oz each
3oz each for a 30 stand

Dry hop 2oz each last day of fermentation
Dry hop 2oz of each on day of transfer
Kegging in about 4 days