Hops...I don't get'em...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclamb6

Reaction score
So I'm fermenting an IPA bittered with Apollo, then 1 oz each of Simcoe, and Chinook, and .5 oz Apollo at 10 minutes, followed by 1 oz each of Simcoe, Columbus, and Chinook, and .5 oz of Apollo at flame out/30 minute hop stand. Going for piney/dank with this one.

First sample after about a week (pre-dry hop, which is going to match the flame out combo), and I get one of the brightest IPA's I've brewed.

Don't get me wrong, I like it--tastes very good. Just entirely unexpected and not what I intended.

So ya, hops, I don't get'em.

When the beer is done, it will taste different than now. I am amazed at how the hop flavors mature, usually for the better.

I find apollo and citra are 2 hops that tend to shine through other hops.

But agreed by drinking time it will be different.

Are you are thinking dank is the opposite of bright? In my experience dank is just a flavor profile that doesn't have another name for it. It's not really the opposite of anything, it's just a different flavor. Simcoe and Columbus are known for being pungent in aroma and dank in flavor. I'd describe that combo as kind of pine, onion, garlic, tropical fruit, but still bright.

Latest posts

Back