Hops - How to use what I have

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skelrad

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew a porter (Grant's Perfect Porter) and a caramel amber ale. I've got a number of types of hops in the freezer that I'd like to use, but not the types called for in the recipes. I don't know enough about how hops affect the beer to confidently mix and match, but I'd sure like to get rid of some of my existing stash before buying more.

The Porter calls for Williamette hops (5%) and the Caramel Amber for Chinook (13%).

Here's what I have in the freezer:
Hersbrucker (3.1%)
Czech Saaz (4%)
Centennial (10.3%)
Northern Brewer (8%)

I don't have enough of any single hop on hand to do a 1:1 replacement with what's in the recipes, so for each I'd have to sub 2 to 3 different varieties. Do any of these look like they'll work, or should I just go ahead and buy more? I don't mind buying more, but it sure would be nice to get rid of some inventory from the freezer.

I would go ahead and buy more hops and send those ones to me. Search this site for hop guides. There are a couple websites that give you a good idea of what can be subed. Also make sure you plug it into a beer calculator to find out how much to put in based on the AAU's. Or you can wing it, it'll end up as beer.

Any of those except Centennial should work fine. Northern Brewer may be a little bit "hoppy" for a porter depending on your tastes.

Hersbrucker is probably the closes substitute for Williamette out of what you mentioned. Personally, if it were me, I would use as much Hersbrucker as possible, then make up the difference with Saaz or Northern Brewer. If you use Northern Brewer, only use half as much as you would have used if you had used one of the other varieties.

Back