Hops for pills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jloewe

Reaction score
Just the opening stages of it all but thinking of doing a Pilsner-ish type beer. Maybe with American fruity hops to make it a little more…. Fun? El Dorado, Citra type of stuff. Basically anything not Nobel or English haha. Suggestions? Would this be tasty?

Grist is likely all pils or pils and a touch of Munich.

Lorien, if you can find it. A very interesting hop, and distinctive without being overpowering.

++ on kiwi hops. I’m partial to Motueka.

I've brewed several batches in this direction. Currently one on tap with Motueka as a finishing hop, N Brewer as first wort bittering hop, which is pretty neutral. It is quite good, nice citrus finish while still tasting like a good pilsner-ish lager.

If you want it really citrus forward, and American, all Cascade is always a good choice. Cascade bittering with Motueka finish would be a good American/Kiwi blend.

Not a big fan of Citra myself, seems to impart an off flavor, but that may just be me. If you like grapefruit, Mosaic is a good choice, if lemons, go for Lemon Drop.

Check out "Cold IPA" recipes. Might be similar to what you're trying to do and if so could give you a head start.

I've done a few beers along that line and they're hard, my brain is a little weirded out by lager flavors combined with American ale flavors. FWIW I'd suggest an interesting hops and nothing you're familiar with like Simcoe or Amarillo (assuming you're familiar with them). Do try something totally different.

(But I don't recommend Mandarina Bavaria, certainly not solo, strawberry / green melon is not a good hop flavor on its own, certainly not at all to me).

Sasquatch is a good idea. I'd probably try it without the touch of Citra, because to my tastes, anything that Citra touches ...

Other good ones: Bergamot, Lotus, and Harlequin.

If you're heading into cold IPA territory, then obviously you can go nuts, but if you're shooting for something that is still recognizably Pilsner, I'd pick a single aroma hop.

Not a Kiwi hop (I think) but I would like to try el dorado

Not US hops, but as some others have already suggested I brewed a SMaSH pilsner with NZ hops (Nelson Sauvin) last summer. If my notes are correct I added:
26,8 IBU @ 60 minutes
3,4IBU @ 5 minutes
1,1 IBU @ hopstand (10 minutes)

Taste as such was really good, but I thought it was a bit bland. It was really appreciated by everyone else who tried it though. Possibly due to high drinkability and warm summer days. ABV around 5% using 34/70. Most likely I was using Viking Pilsner malt since that's the one I mainly have laying around at home.

Lorien, if you can find it. A very interesting hop, and distinctive without being overpowering.

++ on kiwi hops. I’m partial to Motueka.
Can't speak to kiwi hops in a pilsner, but +1 on the Motueka. Did an IPA with Idaho 7 and Motueka, including two dry hoppings. My family said at the time it's the best beer I've ever made. Gorgeous hop.

Back