Hops for American Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrimBrewer

Reaction score
I don't have any hops that seems to be traditionally used for brown ales at the moment and wont be able to get anymore before brewday. For instance, I only a few grams of cascade, which I can maybe add at flame out. I'll be using apollo for bittering. I want the beer to be more malty and less hoppy, so will be using less hops that I would normally use in my pale ales

Lots: Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo, Chinook, Apollo
Little: Bavarian Mandarin, Columbus
Almost non: Cascade

I am leaning to either just use
1) Centennial
2) Centennial with a bit of cascade and Bavarian Mandarin
3) Simcoe, amarillo and centennial (I liked Simcoe, amarillo and Citra in a previous pale ale)

How about bitter with Columbus, then flame-out or whirlpool Centennial and Citra.

If you want a malty brown ale maybe use your high AA hops (columbus, apollo?) to get your target IBUs to balance the malt and call it a day. Though, I'd be tempted to throw in some of that amarillo and centennial at flame-out!

Unfortunately I don't have any citra at the moment. In future I plan to keep that in stock all the time...that and Cascade

I saw more than one hop mix of centennial and amarillo. Not sure how that's going to taste. I didn't like my pale with simcoe and amarillo that much but I did like the simcoe amarillo and citra.

I bittered with chinook and rest was cascade for my American Brown. Came out great.

Back