Hops for a Dry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prionburger

Reaction score
I'm making a dry stout using Jamil Zainasheff's dry stout grain bill, but with WLP013 London Ale and different hops.

I have two choices: Wilamette, or Northern brewer.

So here's the question: Would Northern Brewer conflict with the esters? Willamette would be closest to the original recipe, but woody hops with oakey esters sounds great in a stout...

Anyone experienced in dry stouts?

I'd go with the Willamette myself, but I have a deep rooted love of Fuggles. :D

The northern brewer would be safe though, in a dry stout it's really only there for bittering so you don't have to worry about the flavour too much.

Thanks for the quick reply Bradsul! Yeah, maybe I should go with the Willamette. It's closest. I have a nice cheap hunk of it that I got from hopsdirect, time to crack it open, and I'll save the NB for steam beers.

Do you tend to make the low gravity types? How long does it usually take for the green to go away?

Drooling already...

I definitely tend towards session beers. I like to enjoy my beer but I don't much like getting drunk.

A classic dry stout will be very enjoyable at 6 weeks, but will reach it's prime at 2 months in my experience. With my own house stout (in my recipe dropdown) I like to go 2-3 weeks in primary and then a month in secondary or in the keg. The bitterness and roasted flavours seem to need that time to perfectly mellow into a really drinkable beer.

Back