hops flavor in an ipa without secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plath

Reaction score
Is it possible to get a lot of hops flavor without a secondary? I've dry hopped three IPAs, and while I've gotten a lot of aroma, I haven't had lot of hops flavor. Is it my recipe (too much malt?)? Or is it the fact that I'm not transferring to a secondary and the yeast is absorbing the hops oils?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

95% recipe for hop flavor
If you are looking for crazy hop flavor try a technique called hop bursting. Of course for hop bitterness you need to put more hops in at the beginning of the boil.
When you dry hop without going to secondary, just wait for the bulk of the fermentation to complete and then add the hops

Im only 6 batches into my AG career but so far I 've done 6 pale ale/IPA's and like was said your hop flavor will come from the boil not the dry hop. Dry hopping is to add nose to the beer which is also perceived by the palate as flavor to some extent. Most recipes I've seen use the hop bursting technique which from what I understand is adding the hops from 20 min to flame out in 5 min incraments this way the boil extracts the hop flavor but not the bitterness due to the short time the hops are in the boil. There is also a whirlpooling technique where hops are added after flamout, the wort is cooled slightly to 170-180deg and then for me stirred for 20-30 min. I've only done it with 1 beer but it yielded great results with the Citra hops I used. Hope this helps a little.

I like using high IBU early in boil, lots of hops at 5 minutes and flameout, then I pitch well / healthy and dry hop as primary subsides. Tons of hop flavor typically in 2 weeks.

Do you have an example of a recipe that you have used so we can see what your recipes typically look like?

Is it possible to get a lot of hops flavor without a secondary? I've dry hopped three IPAs, and while I've gotten a lot of aroma, I haven't had lot of hops flavor. Is it my recipe (too much malt?)? Or is it the fact that I'm not transferring to a secondary and the yeast is absorbing the hops oils?

Dry hopping won't give you any hope flavor other than that perceived from the aroma. In order to extract the bitterness associated w/ hop flavor you need to include the hops in your boil. The bitter components in hops are not soluble. The boil isomerizes the bittering & flavor components which are soluble.
When you add the hops & their AA content will impact the bitterness, flavor, & aroma you ultimately achieve.

I use a standard 60-minute addition for the IBUs I'm after, then add the rest of my hops as a post-boil steep once my temp is under 190 or so. That's all the additions I do, although certainly adding some with less than 15 minutes boiling or in the dry-hop is helpful too. Minimizing crystal malts and formulating a dry finish will help the hops stand out as well.

Do you have an example of a recipe that you have used so we can see what your recipes typically look like?

I've made the darth vader black ipa as well as the 15 min cascade ale recipes from here and then another one that was a mishmash that doesn't really qualify as a recipe so that one was all on me as far as hopping goes.

Good to know about needing the hops in the boil vs dry hopping for aroma vs taste. Good tips here- thanks all! I just brewed northern brewer's dead ringer that has some 5 and 0 min additions and we'll see how it turns out as far as hop taste.

I've made the darth vader black ipa as well as the 15 min cascade ale recipes from here and then another one that was a mishmash that doesn't really qualify as a recipe so that one was all on me as far as hopping goes.

Good to know about needing the hops in the boil vs dry hopping for aroma vs taste. Good tips here- thanks all! I just brewed northern brewer's dead ringer that has some 5 and 0 min additions and we'll see how it turns out as far as hop taste.

I think you will find that adding the hops towards the end of the boil say between 20 and 5 will definately add to your flavor, also i like to use that time to add different hops at varying times to make the flavor a bit more complex.

Here's a good recipe that's easy to brew. Massive "fruit salad" hop flavor and aroma with a soft, clean maltiness and a nutty finish.

That Doesn't Count SMaSH IPA

6 gal at 70% eff

16 lbs Great Western Northwest Pale Ale Malt. (Cargill Special Pale works, too.)

1 oz Falconer's Flight 9.9a for 25 mins
1 oz Falconer's Flight 9.9a for 20 mins
1 oz Falconer's Flight 9.9a for 15 mins
1 oz Falconer's Flight 9.9a for 10 mins
1 oz Falconer's Flight 9.9a for 5 mins
1 oz Falconer's Flight 9.9a at knockout 15 minute whirlpool
2 oz Falconer's Flight 9.9a dry hop in primary 5 days

Mash at 154F.

American Ale yeast. 1500 mL starter, two vials/smack packs, or one pack of high-quality dry yeast. Recommend WLP090, WYeast 1764 or Danstar Nottingham. Ferment at recommended temperature.

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.011 (82% att!!!)
SRM: 10 (calculated, actually deep gold)
IBU: 64 (Rager)
ABV: 7.1%

It is important to rapidly cool the wort for IPA's. The five min. or flameout additions turn to bittering hops if it takes longer than 30 min to cool. When I switched to a plate chiller I found I did not even need to dry hop for a good IPA.

I just finished drinking two IPA batches where I only added a 60 min bittering addition and all the rest of the hops were in the mash. The flavor and aroma were great and I didn't have to deal with late boil, flame out or dry hop additions. I'm still working on the right amounts but both of these 2.5 gal batches had 3 oz of Mosaic and Simcoe respectively and turned out real nice.

It is important to rapidly cool the wort for IPA's. The five min. or flameout additions turn to bittering hops if it takes longer than 30 min to cool. When I switched to a plate chiller I found I did not even need to dry hop for a good IPA.

But what about the Hop Stand technique where you steep the hops for 30 min or so at around 180°F? I thought this was to keep the hops aromas from cooking out. I think as long as you cool it to 180°F then you should be fine but I just use an immersion chiller so I have no experience with what you describe.

I use what I consider a nice immersion chiller from Jaded 50' 1/2" immersion chiller so IDK if size makes a difference but I swirl it while its chilling and that knocks alot of time off the overall chilling time as opposed to just turning the water on and letting it sit. Once I'm close to pitching temp I dont want to mess with the cold break and stir it all up again I'll let it sit and chill the rest of the way. So far the IPA's ive made have turned out tasty to me anyway. Not sure if its due to this chilling or not.

Back