Hops Direct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autoferret

Reaction score
Hey guys,

after reading about you guys having good results with these guys i ordered 6lbs of hops to have on hand. and the 6 packets were anywear from 4-8oz more per package.

would order from these guys again. :mug:

nick

autoferret said:
Hey guys,

after reading about you guys having good results with these guys i ordered 6lbs of hops to have on hand. and the 6 packets were anywear from 4-8oz more per package.

would order from these guys again. :mug:

nick

But not until next year!:(

A package was waiting for me when I got home. I attempted to order a pound of hops a week or so ago and got the dreaded e-mail..."if we cannot fill your order we will not charge your card" low and behold... 1# 7 oz of cluster pellets were waiting like christmas morning for me.

What do they charge for shipping? I have this aversion to letting someone charge my credit card when I don't know exactly what they are going to charge.

kcstrom

What do they charge for shipping? I have this aversion to letting someone charge my credit card when I don't know exactly what they are going to charge.

kcstrom

Send them an e-mail. To my location, it's:

1# 8.76
2# 9.95
3# 10.64

kcstrom

I've ordered from them several times, I've called a few times as well. They have always been up front with prices and answers to my questions. I even had a technical questions (not related to a purchase) and they had one of the "people in the know" call me back to answer my questions.

I'd put them in my "highly rated vendor" category

I got all of mine at Freshops... they are all basically $2 an ounce and the shipping is ok.

I got all of mine at Freshops... they are all basically $2 an ounce and the shipping is ok.

same here, only i will say, hopsdirect has a bit better pricing... i tiried to direct compare, but hops direct wont let me add a damned lb of centennial to my cart :(

freshops was fast with shipping, and i do not see a reason to change just yet, especially with a poorly designed shopping cart!
i have built websites, with shopping carts over 7 years ago, this is unforgivable!
:)
ok, being a little dramatic arent i ?
anyway, they have some varieties hops direct does not, but lbs only? wtf?

I use Puterbaugh Farms (HopsDirect) when I'm buying by the pound-- price averages $1.30/ounce; Freshops for smaller amounts.

Hops Direct seems to have more variety (esp International) and better prices, but you have to order a pound minimum for each variety.
I've used both, and both have quick response times and reasonable delivery charges.

Yeah, I would have had to have bought abought 8 POUNDS of hops from HopsDirect, when all I needed for 2009 was about 2 pounds. So, it still would have been WAY more expensive for me to go to Hops Direct.... unless I was going to split them wth some brewing friends, but I know no one locally that brews.

I just got 1 pound of Magnum from hopsdirect that ended up being 1 lb, 6 oz. That's $1.44/oz *including* shipping to Ohio.

Paying more somewhere else is just silly.

I just got 1 pound of Magnum from hopsdirect that ended up being 1 lb, 6 oz. That's $1.44/oz *including* shipping to Ohio.

Paying more somewhere else is just silly.

:rockin:

For 1 lb lots, Puterbaugh Farms(HopsDirect) FTW without question. Order from whoever you like, based on an evaluation of selection and delivered price. HopsDirect gets my business because I rarely order less than a pound of any single variety.

I rarely have a need to order less than 1# either. I'll always find a way to go through hops.

When I do I'll just get them from my grain/equipment supplier when I place an order with them.

No, serously I know all of these people that "want to brew" but they never do, and when I invite them over for a brew session, they never come. So I am like... whatever dude. Stick to your BMC and Lifetime movies then.

Youd think in this city we'd have more of a presence, but no.

FWIW, North Country Malt is now the midwest distributor for Hop Union. I'm not sure how long they've been selling hops, but I don't remember seeing hops anywhere on their site the last time I visited.

Hops :: Malt & Hops :: Catalog

Most varieties are $24/lb.

They're clearing out 2007 crop with some varieties as low as $16/lb if you buy a 13# mini-bale. That's too much even for me, but a good deal for a homebrew club going in on a group buy.

The Country Malt Group

I went ahead and order from hopsdirect after they emailed with with the shipping rates. It was essentially about $8-9 to the Kansas City area depending on the amount ordered. I ordered three pounds :D

Looking forward to getting them.

kcstrom

HopsDirect looks like a great deal... I may use them in 2010. I do not need 1lb of each variety, but since I can vaccuum seal and freeze them, they will last a VERY long time.

FWIW, North Country Malt is now the midwest distributor for Hop Union. I'm not sure how long they've been selling hops, but I don't remember seeing hops anywhere on their site the last time I visited.

Hops :: Malt & Hops :: Catalog

Most varieties are $24/lb.

They're clearing out 2007 crop with some varieties as low as $16/lb if you buy a 13# mini-bale. That's too much even for me, but a good deal for a homebrew club going in on a group buy.

The Country Malt Group

During the worst of the hops shortage last year, I remember seeing their large walk-in freezer when I went to pick up an order. I was told that they do sell hops, though at the time they were not selling to the public. I suspect they were using them as a carrot to lure in some of the microbreweries in the area..

I wonder: is there a correlation between where the hops are from and the weight overage?

For example, imported German hops versus farm-grown varieties?

Or perhaps pellet versus whole-leaf?

Just got my shipment, and was disappointed that they shipped me U.S. Goldings (which I don't have any use for) instead of the East Kent Goldings I ordered. Also, all packets were about 1 lbs 1 oz in the bag, so no freebies for me. Hopefully they'll ship out the correct imported hops to me without forcing me to jump through to many hoops.

EDIT: Just got word that they'll be shipping out the correct hops today, and pay for return shipping for the U.S. Goldings.

I'd bet the 22 oz pounds from Hops Direct are a thing of the past. Received three pounds last week. Package included, each weighed 17 to 17.5 oz. Good price, though, prompt, shipping was actual UPS cost.

Back