Hops(apple) what's the best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark24

Reaction score
Hello all, just wondering if anyone has ever had Bud Light "apple"? I'm looking to make beer as close to it as possible. How many different apple hops would there be our there? I'm still very new to all of this so looking for any advice. For now I'm mainly just brewing the " Crafted beer" or "Crafted cider " kits but a day or so before bottling I could add hops. The Blonde Lager variety of "Crafted beer" actually comes with apple hops but I've not made it yet. Has anyone tried it or can anyone steer me in the right apple taste direction? Thank you all.

craft_beer_blonde_lager_large.jpg

Are you thinking of something like "graf"/"graff"? Check out the cider forum if that's what you're after. Just some thoughts: you can replace some of your brewing water with apple juice, or use apple juice as priming sugar.

Are you thinking of something like "graf"/"graff"? Check out the cider forum if that's what you're after. Just some thoughts: you can replace some of your brewing water with apple juice, or use apple juice as priming sugar.

No this is true light lager with a nice crisp fresh apple taste.
Now that you've mentioned Graf though, I may have to see what I can make with that kind of thing too. lol

Hello all, just wondering if anyone has ever had Bud Light "apple"? I'm looking to make beer as close to it as possible. How many different apple hops would there be our there? I'm still very new to all of this so looking for any advice. For now I'm mainly just brewing the " Crafted beer" or "Crafted cider " kits but a day or so before bottling I could add hops. The Blonde Lager variety of "Crafted beer" actually comes with apple hops but I've not made it yet. Has anyone tried it or can anyone steer me in the right apple taste direction? Thank you all.

View attachment 617799
Only hop that I can say gives a little apple is cashmere. It’s like a pear apple. But I don’t think it’s what you’re looking for. Your better off using some apple cider as part of your water volume.

Only hop that I can say gives a little apple is cashmere. It’s like a pear apple. But I don’t think it’s what you’re looking for. Your better off using some apple cider as part of your water volume.

Apple juice work? Or would it need to be some form of a sweet apple cider? At what point does it become considered Graf? I'm thinking we're onto something here. I like it.

Apple juice could work. I just suggested apple cider since it’s already spiced. Here’s a pretty good link on graffs https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/how-to-make-graf-a-cider-beer-hybrid/

So its as simple as in my brewing bucket replacing like 1/2 of the water with apple juice? Sounds pretty simple, I'll give it a try once I'm finished making my batch of Pear cider. Even if it doesn't taste good or quite like I want, I'll still drink it anyway. lol

Or find apple extract, and add at packaging time to your taste. I would stick with a fairly noble hop for something like this, say Saaz or Tettnang, so as not to intrude on the apple flavors.

Or find apple extract, and add at packaging time to your taste. I would stick with a fairly noble hop for something like this, say Saaz or Tettnang, so as not to intrude on the apple flavors.

Extract? Hmmm, would or could I add that to my mix a day or so before bottling? Where would I find extract like this(are there several apple varieties)? About how much does it cost and how much roughly would I need per 23L batch? Again I'm pretty new to all of this so sorry for so many questions.

I bet Bud Light Apple takes some apple/-extract/-flavoring. So no need to look for apple in hops. It is basically a mass production graf (light lager beer + apple).

Last edited:
Did AB InBev find a way to make a profit from acetaldehyde? :D

Hey, tri-tip used to be considered a trash cut of beef. Marketing works wonders.

Hipster in brewery: Sure stone fruit and tropical fruit esters are great, but got any of that apple essence?

:Brewers head explodes:

Every brewer has their view on how to impart flavors. Some will use extracts, some will make their own tictures and some will use the raw ingredients. I’m the latter. I would have to use real apple or at least cider or juice. But it all gets the job done, you just have to decide what’s right for you, the easier of the 3 or the challenge where it may take a few times to nail.

I made a Saison Smash w/ all Jarrylo and I felt it had a nice apple presence (the descriptors are Pear)

I'm going to begin to experiment with all of these great ideas and suggestions. Just bottled off my apple cider then now I have pear cider on and next comes beer. Blonde Lager is first up as that's the best starting point for what I want to achieve... I think.

I'll have to do a regular batch per instructions first to see what I'm dealing with and then I'll get I to the experimentation.

First experiment batch I'm going to try some apple juice in my bucket with the water prior to adding yeast first batch. I guess this would be graf?

Second batch I'll try extract added a day prior to bottling.

Cheers all!

Latest posts

Back