Hops and Yeast for NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slurms

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Against my better judgement, I ordered a NEIPA while out over the weekend. I generally don't like them all too much, but this one was quite good (Fort Orange). Wasn't murky at all, hazy but a nice bright yellow color, slight bitterness at the back end. Definitely something I could appreciate and thought maybe I'd give it a go at making one in the near future.

I wanted some input on hops and ratios of said hops. I currently have 8oz of the following: Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo, Idaho 7, Centennial, Chinook, Willamette. I was thinking of a small bittering addition and then a combo of Citra, Mosaic, and a little of Idaho 7 for whirlpool and dryhops. What kind of ratio would be good with this combo? 2:2:1, or, 3:2:1 and showcase citra or mosaic a bit more. Thoughts?

Also, yeast. I only use dry for the time being. I've read S-04 is good for NEIPAs, or US-05. Also have heard K-97 could be good but I wasn't happy with that the last time I used it (got a strong lemony flavor with that and crystal hops in a cream ale). Any experience with these guys in a NEIPA?

In terms of yeast s-04 is fine but I’d stay away from us-05. 05 just doesn’t push the hops forward in my eyes and as a yeast is just very neutral in general.
If you’re considering liquid yeast I’d recommend any Conan strain for you. In my experience it has a bit brighter hop expression with definite notes of peach. If you don’t love the super murky yeasty NEIPAs a deft hand with hopping (hopefully someone better than me can chime in there) and Conan may get you what you want

Thanks for the input. Haven't used S-04 in a while, and am just waiting on a blonde ale with it to finish up. Maybe I'll see how that turns out and decide from there.

But, don't you want a fairly neutral yeast for a NEIPA? Unless Conan/yeasts geared towards them produce some flavors which are part of the style? I haven't looked into it too much. Probably will just be sticking with dry for the time being, don't feel like messing with a starter with this one quite yet.

I am no expert but from my understanding, a lot of people went to english yeasts because they are inherently "fruity/estery" when fermented a bit warmer. If anything this pairs well with the flavors youre going to get from the hops. I, like most people, really enjoy us-05 and its versatility for a lot of styles and I am sure it could do a take on a hazy. As always brew what you think will make the best beer and I am sure you will be happy

I would use a small addition of chinook for your bittering, probably citra and mosaic at 10min and idaho7 for the whirlpool with either mosaic or citra and make sure you have enough left over to hit about 1.5 to 2 oz per gallon of dry hop. As for the yeast it is good if you can use a blend, so something like laIII with a little us05 for to help with attenuation. There has been a lot of talk about it on this thread.

Yeast:

Verdant is great
Or
S04/ 20% K-97, ferment at 64 for 2-3 days then raise

Centennial @ 30
Citra @ 5
Idaho 7/Mosaic/Citra WP 3/1/.5

Dry Hop flip that WP ratio.

Latest posts

Back