Hoppy Stopper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm still pretty new to all this (1 batch drank, 1 bottled, 1 fermenting), but I'm getting better. Everyone seems to stress that cleaning is one of the real keys to a good homebrew. I've never been good at cleaning... I'm working at it though.

After bottling my latest Chinook IPA, I've noticed some of the pieces from the secondary fermenter are pretty darn hard to get cleaned again. The stopper, for instance, still smells like hops after 2 days soaking in sanitizer. What do people do to get rid of smells in such cases? I've read soap is to be avoided because it might affect the beer if residue is left behind.

My carboy also is retaining a smell, but I filled it to the brim with sanitizer and I'll leave it like that for a day or so... I wonder if that will do the trick.

Thanks again for the help!

- doug

Generally, I've noticed that the smell will hang around until the part has had time to air dry after you clean it. That's why (IMO) it's important to clean your stuff well right after use, then again just before its next use.

Back