Hoppy Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will b

Reaction score
What's up everyone,

I have a beer in primary where the idea was to be a Belgian style but with more hops. I based it on a westmalle dubbel but added a taste and aroma hop addition. I'm hoping it will still have the caramel flavors from the candy and the nice Belgium yeast profile but also have a nice hop kick. Hopefully this will come out okay. I'm hoping thw hops don't overpower everything else. Has anyone tried anything like this?

sounds good, as long as you have a nice maltiness to balance it. what was your recipe?

my current Belgian turned out perfect. a little high on the alcohol, but i was going for a Belgian Pale and it ended up tasting like just like a De Koninck. Hoppier than most belgians of the same alcohol, but still very balanced.

ther are some hoppy belgians out there, such as Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Check out the Belgian IPA section at beeradvocate.

A brew pub by my house has made an entire line of beers using a Belgian yeast strain that they had gotten about a year or two ago. One of the beers was a Belgian-strain IPA and it was the best of their Belgian-yeast ales.

But I am pretty partial to hoppy beers.

Earlier this year I made a Belgian brown ale that used a lot of lower AA hops and a late hopping technique. What turned out was a Belgian with the esters of Belgian wheat yeast and a nice hoppy aroma, sweet malt flavor and a hoppy finish. I didn't start using candi sugar until recently, but that doesn't mean you can't add some to this recipe. Worked out nicely and everyone who's tried it, liked it. Just an idea to kick around.

Brede Pijl (Broad Arrow) Belgian American Brown Ale

8 lbs. Pale malt

2 lbs. Amber DME

1 lbs. Belgian Aromatic

1 lbs. Belgian Biscuit

.5 lbs. Gambrinus Honey Malt

.5 lbs. Carapils

Hops

1.0 oz. Tettnang @ 25 mins

1.0 oz. Fuggle @ 15 mins

1.0 oz. Willamette @ 10 mins

4.0 oz. Hop suey @ 5 mins and during chilling

Yeast

Wyeast Belgian Wheat 3942

It's a 3 gallon batch with
4 lbs dry malt light extract
1/2 lb candy sugar
1 oz malto dextrini
specialty grains of caramuncih, chocalate & biscuit malt
Fuggles hops (.75 oz bit, .5 taste & .5 aroma)
white labs trappist yeast

Isn't "Hoppy Belgium" an oxymoron? Like Jumbo Shrimp, or Work Party? :D

Just kidding, sounds like a great idea. Please be sure to post up on how it tastes. I'd like to try it myself.

Will b said:
It's a 3 gallon batch with
4 lbs dry malt light extract
1/2 lb candy sugar
1 oz malto dextrini
specialty grains of caramuncih, chocalate & biscuit malt
Fuggles hops (.75 oz bit, .5 taste & .5 aroma)
white labs trappist yeast
that sounds tasty...not too overpowering on the hops, either. should be a good brew!

Back