Hoppy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bds2012

Reaction score
Hello, I've just recently brought my first homebrew kit and have started brewing one fermenter of cider and one of pale ale. I've gone off a pack instructions of a "mangrove jacks" IPA but I'm having trouble getting that full hop flavour I like in my craft beer. I've heard and will try dry hopping, are there any other techniques anyone would suggest?

bds2012 said:
Hello, I've just recently brought my first homebrew kit and have started brewing one fermenter of cider and one of pale ale. I've gone off a pack instructions of a "mangrove jacks" IPA but I'm having trouble getting that full hop flavour I like in my craft beer. I've heard and will try dry hopping, are there any other techniques anyone would suggest?

Do you do a full boil when you boil hops (start with about 6 gallons to boil down to about 5) or do you do a partial boil (boil maybe 3-4 gallons and add cold water to bring the total up to 5 gallons after the boil)?

If you do a partial boil, you saturate the wort with hops and then dilute with water. While this is an acceptable method for brewing beer, you simply cannot get everything out of the hops that you would with a full boil. It isn't possible. However, this is somewhat linear - so boil as much as possible if you can't do a full boil. For example, if you are shooting for a 5 gallon batch and instructions say boil 3 and top off, ideally you would boil 6 down to 5, but boiling 4.5 down to 3.5 and adding only 1.5 is better than what the instructions say.

That being said, if you aren't getting the hop flavor and aroma you want, you can choose more flavorful varieties or use more late in the boil. Dry hopping will certainly help.

Thank you very much for your reply that was very helpful :). Being my first kit and literally having zero information I'm sure it'll take a few brews to get used to it :) thanks for the help though

No problem. We were all there once.

Keep asking questions and brewing. That's the best way to learn. You will find after a year or two on this forum that you ask fewer and fewer questions...and answer more and more!

Back