Hoppy Barleywine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PundyBrews

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am an extract brewer and love dogfish head 120. I know this brew is tough even doing all grain. So.... I would like to formulate a extract recipe with a similar taste.

I have made a DFH 90 which turned out really well, (actually better) so i thought I could take those basic ingredients and come up with a 13-14 % hoppy but well balanced barleywine/Triple IPA. I just dont know how to make sure it would be balanced.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

you biggest obstical will be getting highly fermentable wort. I would start with a high gravity brew like say 1.1 or 1.090 range. let it ferment a bit and start a sugar addition schedule similar to the DFH 120 but not as long, may a week or so.

The sugar is very fermentable and will easily be eaten by the sugar. You are also going to want to use a yeast that can take it. I might start out with WLP007 and have WLP099 on hand when doing the sugar additions.

So would you just take the dfh 90 recipe, up it to get the gravity, add a week of sugar additions and high tolerance yeast, and add some dry hop additions?

I pretty new at this and wouldnt want all that work and time to go to waste. I guess I could run some ideas through some brew software and see what that gives me

http://www.homebrewchef.com/120minuteIPArecipe.html

Go there and read that in case you haven't seen it before. That page should give you a good idea what you're working with also.

I bet with good temp control and yeast health you could do it with wlp001. If you're going barley wine you'll want some unfermentables from crystal but if you're doing a IPA you'll want it drier.

I think I would go with DME from M&F as I've had real good attenuation when using theirs. That way you can control your FG more with some specialty grains rather than issues from high mash temps from the extract makers.

I will read that link for sure.

I just slapped this recipe together on a free calculator.

10 lbs Amber DME
1 lb Light Dme
1 lb Crystal 40
1 lb Crystal 20

That gives me a high SG and a lighter more red color.

.75 oz Amarillo 90min
.75 oz Simcoe 90 min
.75 oz Warrior 90 min

.5 oz Amarillo 5 min
.5 oz Simcoe 5 min
.5 oz Warrior 5 min

plus dry hop

I guess I am leaning towards dry, probably will add oak as well

What do you think?

Go with the lightest extract you can get then add the specialty grains to get what you color you want. That's how I started extract brewing and everything turned out great. You are basically emulating the way the rest of us doing AG brew with base malts.

Here's another link to peek at for recipe formulation. http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf

After a lot of research I think I ve got it worked out.

5.5 gallon batch
6.25 boil

15 lbs Light DME
1 lb Amber DME
3 lbs Corn Sugar (to be added over the course of fermentation)

2.25oz Amarillo 60min
2oz Simcoe 60min
2.25oz Warrior 60min

2oz Amarillo Dry Hop
1oz Simcoe Dry Hop
2oz Warrior Dry Hop

100 grams Oak Chips

Wyeast Pacman
White Labs High gravity

Will add hops the dogfish way, 6.23grams every 2min
Will do a large starter for the Pacman and try to keep fermentation cool
When that slows, will add the high gravity yeast plus two 136gram sugar additions per day
Will start dry hoping with 10.2grams per day after high gravity yeast has been going a while
Will transfer to secondary with oak chips and continue to dry hop
Will let it sit for 2 to 4 weeks then mabye to a third fermentation to clear
Will bottle with fresh dry yeast and carbonation drops and leave in bottle for at least six months
With the sugar additions the OG is 1.156 FG 1.039
Is that too high a FG?

Not exactly following style guidelines but I think worth a try

Any suggestions?

Screw style guidelines, sounds interesting!

My only suggestion would be drop the amber DME and use crystal for color. Who knows what the Amber DME actually consists of.

FG sounds undrinkably high but with a highly flocculant yeast I bet it'll finish a lot lower than predicted, I've always found my brewing programs to be inaccurate when it comes to FG. To help fix that I'd again drop the amber so you have more control of the final product, and would consider switching to extra light DME (though that probably won't matter).

I was thinking along the same lines, maybe some crystal 15. I will actually use mostly pilsen with 3lbs extra light spraymalt. Should I up the spraymalt? It worked really well for my double ipa

Would keeping fermentation higher be better for a brew like this, just to make sure it finishes or should I start cool and raise for the high gravity yeast and sugar additions?
Don't have any good way for temp control besides a tshirt and tray of water though

Thanks for all the responses so far

Back