Hoppy amber ale partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyant20

Reaction score
I want to make a hoppy amber ale. This is the recipe I came up with. I'm new to putting together a recipe so any suggestions are appreciated.

4 lbs 2 row. 1lb Munich dark. 8 oz crystal 40l. 6 oz 120l. 3.3 lb amber LME at flameout
1oz centennial (60 min). 1oz centennial (10 min). .5 cascade flameout. .5 cascade dry hopped
Safale US-05 yeast

The only change I would make is not using amber LME, and instead using Pale LME. Amber LME has crystal in it, so you'd be doubling up on the crystal.

So, like an amber-colored IPA?

I have actually been trying this myself. My first beer use all amber malt extract (both DME and LME) with roasted barley steeping grains and it turned out dark brown. Still a good beer (especially with respect to the hop flavor/aroma - in fact, good enough to get me hooked on brewing....) but really a fail on the color.

The next IPA I did, I kept the ME pilsen/extra-light. I used steeping grains that I read were more conducive to red color (e.g. cars-red and a small (2oz) amount of roasted), and it was an improvement, (more red- than brown-) but still was much darker than what I was going for.

Its still a work in progress. I have read that to keep your beers lighter in color, add only a portion of malt extract to the total boil and keep most for the final few minutes. Also, I have since gotten some melanoidin malt as well. Honestly, I think my next IPA try will to see if I can make a light one at all (with enough malt to keep it at around 7% that is), but at this point I don't know whether its the malt or the grains.

I have since gone partial-mash (BIAB-style), which is really only a small step from steeping the grains anyhow. I will eventually come back to this subject (since I really want to make that nice, red, IPA....) but my next try is a Belgian Dubbel (a la Chimay, hopefully) so it will have to wait a little bit.

Ya this is just an amber with some extra hop character. The ibu is at 48.. Just enough to give it a nice hop flavor

Back