Hopping in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RePete

Reaction score
Have any of you added hops to a keg after tasting a beer and deciding it needed something extra? Sort of like adding spices to a dish after you taste it? I have a lager I just kegged that is kind of bland. I might let it sit for a while and see if it gets better first.

I did this to a batch one time that had too much ginger, so I added a dry hop of cascade and it turned out amazing

You will definitely introduce some O2 which is not ideal, but if you purge the headspace and drink the beer within a few weeks should be ok

Personally, I'd be more inclined to just let the keg ride and do it differently next time.

If you want to dump hops into the keg, make sure they're in a bag or something so they don't clog up the flow.

At this point it is still lightly carbed. I just put an initial burst of CO2 on it. Will let it sit for a while until I decide what to do. Fortunately I have plenty of other beer kegged right now

Like Unicorn_Platypus, I've done this with carbed beer -- no muss or fuss, just some oxygen contact reduced by purging.

Even with plenty of help from my hop-head wife, it can take two months or more before we finish a 5-gallon corny. Slower than it might be because my kegerator has 4 taps. Fading hop aroma over time makes me wonder about intermediate re-dry-hopping.

Ok. Well, I guess that I won’t be afraid to try it if it comes to that. Thanks.

Back