Hop utilization question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffin1

Reaction score
I have been using a French coffee press to steep hops for aroma and then adding to my wort. It really imparts nice flavor without adding all the sludge to the wort.

Here is my question, when a recipe (like one from northern brewer) calls for a 2.5 gallon boil of the entire wort with hops added, will I get the same IBUs if I boil a gallon of water separately, add the hops and then use the French coffee press to remove the sludge before I add the water to the wort?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

IBU development is time dependent. If a recipe says to boil the hops for 60 minutes, you need to recreate that exposure time at boiling temps. Bitterness is developed at temps down to appx. 175F, but at a reduced level below boiling.

With a French press steep, your more replicating a hopstand condition.
https://byo.com/component/k2/item/2808-hop-stands
And likely only getting 10% or so of IBU development as compared to boiling the hops.

I've also read on here that you get much better hop utilization with some sort of malt, either from extract or grains. I'm sure someone who knows much more about the topic will be able to give more specific information than this, though.

Back