Hop twine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derbycitybrewer

Reaction score
So I gonna string up my hops the next few days. I have a abundance of 550 paracord that I'm gonna use to string up my hops. Here's my question. The paracord is black! Do u think with it being black I would have to worry about it burning it up? Or am I golden and in the clear with this great idea? Cheers

I TRIED A FEW WITH IT A COUPLE OF YEARS BACK AND IT SEEMED THE DYE OR NYLON STUNTED THE GROWTH. Just buy a $3 roll of sisal (natural) works great and can be composted.

I used sisal from Lowes last year and every single one of my strings dry rotted and snapped mid season. This year I'm going back to jute/garden twine, same price but held up better.

I'll be using the same coir drops I used for the previous two years. They're all in great shape, no signs of anything untoward. Any premium over sisal, etc, was pretty much erased...

Cheers!

I've used the paracord. This will be a good experiment at least. This stuff is strong to say the least. 550lb strength. Sub and I will keep everyone updated.

sluggoman, I think that will work fine, looks just like the garden twine they sell at Lowes or Home Depot, that price seems high though, I just bought a spool that size for about $3 USD

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I have 10 plants running along the front of my house. This year I put up 3/16" steel cable that I picked up from Lowes. You can cut and crimp it to length. I also added a spring to each line to hold the tension. I'm hoping these will last for a while.

This could be an option if you plan on keeping the hops in the same location for a while.

I just got some green jute from Home Depot and strung it up. Seems like it is going to work really good. It was $3.00 for 200 feet.

Green jute from the local hardware store. For a couple bucks the roll get me through a couple years with 3 plants. I do double it up though. Not sure it's necessary, but it makes me feel better. It also goes right it the compost pile with the plants at the end of the season.

Back