Hop Trellis & Different Species Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I'm planning on planting 2 hop rhizomes on a trellis that looks like the one below. I will be planting 1 rhizome on each side.

-Would using 2 different hop species cause any problems?

-Would I be better off sticking to the same variety hop for this?

-Does it matter if I plant them on the inside or outside of the trellis?

I'd like for them to grow up and over the top and fill out the trellis.

imagebig_thumb.jpg

I think you'd be better off with one variety per trellis. Once they grow up to the top they'll begin tangling with each other and before long you won't know whih vine is which. I don't think it would matter wether you plant them on the inside or outside of it, though outside would probably look better IMO...

you could also stick 4 vertical poles at each corner so that they poke straight up above the trellis. the bines would continue growing up those, and generally stay un-mingled. i was at HD this weekend and they had hard green plastic stakes, about 8' tall, for relatively cheap. you'd essentially be turning your trellis into a four-poster :)

you could also opt for a mix of "pure hops" (from the bines that shoot straight up along the added posts) and some "mixed hops" from the bines that grow over the top of the trellis (not on the posts). use the mixed hops for mystery brews.

i would plant the rhizomes on the outside of the trellis, smack in the middle, and send a few bines crawling up each side of the trellis.

I would also recommend a single variety. This is what healthy hops plants look like:

2113-img_0985.jpg

sweetcell said:
you could also opt for a mix of "pure hops" (from the bines that shoot straight up along the added posts) and some "mixed hops" from the bines that grow over the top of the trellis (not on the posts). use the mixed hops for mystery brews.

That's a pretty interesting idea

Latest posts

Back