Hop substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewRunning

Reaction score
I am going to brew a recipe that called for the following hop schedule:

1.75oz Magnum - 60min
1oz centennial - 30min
1oz centennial - 10min
1oz centennial at flame out
2oz centennial dry hopped for 7 days

My LHBS only had 2oz of centennial on hand. I bought 3oz of Cascade as a substitute. My question is should I evenly mix the centennial and cascade for each of the hop additions? Or, would it be better to use the Cascade at 30, 10 and FO and dry hop with the centennial. Or, does it even really matter, what will be the flavor differences each way?

If it was me, I would leave the Centennial for the 30 and 10 min additions. Then sub in the Cascade for the FO and dry hop additions.

Or you could just mix them all together in one big bowl and then portion out the amounts you need and add them as you have scheduled. That's something you could do and be adventurous. ;)

FYI - Beersmith says the following of the two hops. Maybe this info will help you decide.

Cascade:
Notes: A hops with Northern Brewers Heritage
Used for: American ales and lagers
Aroma: Strong spicy, floral, grapefruit character
Substitutes: Centennial

Centennial:
Notes: Used for: General purpose bittering, aroma in American ales and Wheats
Aroma: Floral, citrus aroma, spicy, clean bittering flavor
Substitutes: Galena, Eroica, Nugget, Bullion

Looks good! Also, I noticed you have two packets of US-05 dry yeast. That might be overkill for the brew. What's the OG Beersmith give you with your setup and recipe? One packet may be plenty.

It shows an OG of 1.078, I plan on rehydrating before pitching. The only reason I put 2 packets was because they are a little old and I was worried about the vitality of them. Maybe unnecessary?

It may be unnecessary, but since they are old it couldn't hurt. It was something I noticed and wanted to check.

Anyhow for what it's worth. I pitched a single packet of Notthingham yeast into a batch of 1.091 wort and it did great. One of my best brews to date! Rehydrated the yeast for that brew, but I don't always rehydrate.

Brew on and keep us posted as to how it turns out. I will be more than happy to sample one for you too. ;)

I'm willing to bet your dry yeast is fine, but you could rehydrate one pack in water as per instructions and the add to a 1-1.5L starter. Assumimg you have time to do so.

Personally I would put the centennial in FO and dry hop. The reason I say this is that centennial has a great aroma where as cascade probably has a better flavor.

Also centennial has a real big floral quality that cascade doesn't have which will be lost in the boil.

Brewed this beer today. Changed the recipe slightly, added 1oz of black malt to make it darker. Lowered the magnum addition to 1.5oz and swapped the hops again, used the Cascade during the boil and saved the centennial for dry hopping. OG measured at 1.077, estimated was 1.078 so I was really happy with that. First tasting was very pleasing. Can't wait to see how this one turns out! Thanks again for all of the input.

I kegged this beer on Monday and had my first glass last night. This beer turned out great! I'll definitely be brewing this one again!!! I recommend giving this recipe a try if you're an IPA fan like I am.

I should note that I dry hopped for 4 days instead of 7 after reading multiple posts suggesting that there really isn't much gained beyond that.

Thanks again for all of the input.

Latest posts

Back