Hop substitution help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtupper

Reaction score
As going to brew 10G of a munic helles today Which was supposed to be magnum/hallertauer. Just realized I don't have any magnum. My substitue choices are :

Citra 13.4 1oz
Glacier 8.2 2oz
Perle 8.2 .75oz
Simcoe 12.4 2oz

which do you think? I'm shooting for 18.1 IBU in a 10G batch

Thanks

Is this gonna be good on style or am I better just waiting till I can get some magnum

It's cheaper to wait because you'll have to use more than twice as much glacier as you would magnum. But it should sub just fine.

Well it calls for 1oz magnum and I have 2 glacier and I font really use it. It was a closeout so we bout it at a good price. I'll figure out if I have enough

For the most part bittering hops do just that, bitter. Flavor & Aroma don't carry through the boil much, if at all. Glacier and Perle would be my suggestion as well. Hate to waste Citra & Simcoe on bittering. On a side note. I had some Glacier pellets a while back that were just astringently harsh. I couldn't figure out what was causing it until I compared 3 recipes & the only common denominator was Glacier. Threw them away & haven't had that astringency since. YMMV. Cheers!!!

Should I be worried about my glaciers then or do you think it was just that batch? I'm planning on 1.5oz Glacer@60 and 2oz Haller@30. Sound ok. Leaves me around 25IBU

I also would hate to waste Simcoe on bittering but it will give you a rounded bitterness. AAs sound similar to Magnum.

Latest posts

Back