Hop stand with a hop spider question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I'm breiwing the fresh squeezed clone tomm and while the recipe doesn't call for it I think I want to try a hop stand with the FO 1oz Citra addition. I use a hop spider with the paint strainer bag. Do I need to change the bag to add the last hop addition or just throw it in with the rest of the hops and just stir occasionally for that 30 min? I see people use the term whirlpooling during a hop stand is that the equivalent of just stirring it every so often? Also last question, at the end of the boil when you turn the burner off do you let the wort naturally cool to 170-180 then add the hop stand hop addition or is adding it at FO ok, what's the best way to get it to that sweet spot temp for a hop stand? Take it off the burner and set it on my garage floor to help cool? Sorry so many questions and thanks for the help.

I put my brew pot in I've until it hits 175 then remove from the ice add hops stir for 10- 20mminutes. Then proceed to cooling. I also FWH.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I FWH, bitter hop, hopstand, and dry hop most beers. I usually get the hops bags out at flameout before hop standing.

If you add it at FO it's not a hopstand the whole point is getting the temp below boiling to not boil off aroma

If you add it at FO it's not a hopstand the whole point is getting the temp below boiling to not boil off aroma

Ok thats what I was thinking so I have to chill to 170-180 then add the hops and whirpool ie stir for 30 min then chill the down to pitching temp.

I FWH, bitter hop, hopstand, and dry hop most beers. I usually get the hops bags out at flameout before hop standing.

Should I pull the bag at end of boil with all the other hops in it then just add the hop stand hops right into the wort or add change bags while wort is cooling to the desired temp and throw the hops in the bag. I just dont want to lose to much wort to hop sludge. I plan on a 7 gal pre boil volume with a 5-5.5 end volume.

This recipe calls for a FWH iv'e never done this before it'll be my 3rd AG batch so do I just throw the FWhops in the BK while im getting first running or do I use the spider and throw them in the bag while I'm collecting my first running?

I use a hop spider and when i do FWH'ing I'll prepare a second small bag with the FWH charge and dump it in the kettle... then I pull it out when it's boil time and that's when the spider goes in

I use a hop spider and when i do FWH'ing I'll prepare a second small bag with the FWH charge and dump it in the kettle... then I pull it out when it's boil time and that's when the spider goes in

So at boil time do u add the fwh bag into the spider to finish the boil. Guess I always figure fwh get boiled to for the 60 min.

Not sure about your question, but is love to see the recipe for this. That beer is good.

So at boil time do u add the fwh bag into the spider to finish the boil. Guess I always figure fwh get boiled to for the 60 min.

Negative. Once i pull out the FWH bag it's done. Those hops don't get boiled.

Negative. Once i pull out the FWH bag it's done. Those hops don't get boiled.

I just threw mine in the pot while collecting first runnings then they steeped while I had to heat up the Sparge water. . I wasn't sure what to do as i read that people boil the fwh too so I ended up boiling mine guess well c what happens. Smelled great during the fwh and first running collection.

I am under the impression that FWH is traditionally boiled for the duration. Taking it out is abnormal. It is smoother bittering because it starts at a lower temp, not because you take it out before the boil.

Back