Hop sludge went into fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coohang

Reaction score
Hey all - I think I might be a little paranoid on this one. I have been brewing extract for several years - just got my brew rig up and running. Today I did my 2nd all grain batch. All was going fine until I transferred to the 15 gallon sanke that I ferment in.

I will start from the top - this was a 10 gal batch of a Sam Adams clone:

18.5 lbs of Briess 2 row
1.5 lbs of Briess Caramel 60

3 oz Hersbrucker
2 oz Tettnang

Hit my mash temp and held it dead on 152 via HERMS. Sparge went alright. Then the boil came (the easy part!). I notice that I must have thrown away my hop bag during my last brew. So - I said "f" it - and threw the hops in the boil. I also added 2 whirfloc tabs. I thought that I would be alright since I have a side pick up tube in my BK that leaves about 3/4 gallon (trub/etc.). I whirlpooled via recirculation pump and let it settle for 20 min.

Even with this - I got considerable hop sludge into the fermenter. What does everyone think - is it alright? I mean - I'm gonna drink it anyway! :) But just wondering...

I only do 5 gallon batches but all the hops and break material go into my fermenter. They all settle out and get covered by the yeast. Nothing to worry about.

Pellet hops is a PITA that way...

RDWHAHB it'll all be ok.

If you're that worried, rack to a seocndary after fermentation stops. All the trub will fall out.

One thing you might watch out for is a clogged blow off tube. My friend dumped the whole contents of his BK into the fermenter once and the pellet hops clogged up the blow off. Other than that you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks all - I think I just needed some reassurance! All is good - already have bubbles in the blowoff (per the above - i'll watch it)...

I made a Red ale and dumped the entire contents of the brew kettle into the fermenter just to see what would happen. The beer came out great. So don't worry it will be fine.

I pretty much always put everything in the fermenter and have never had an issue. I have had them clog the blow off tube as well. Other than that, you should be good.

Back