Hop Shot after fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VVbrewery

Reaction score
I have a APA just finishing fermentation that tastes like it needs a tad more bitterness. I was thinking of making a small amount of wort, adding 1-2ml of Hop Shot, boiling for an hour and adding it to the beer to bump up the IBUs. Does this sound like it might work or just a waste of time?

I have a APA just finishing fermentation that tastes like it needs a tad more bitterness. I was thinking of making a small amount of wort, adding 1-2ml of Hop Shot, boiling for an hour and adding it to the beer to bump up the IBUs. Does this sound like it might work or just a waste of time?

depends on the numbers. how much IBU do you want to add?
it may be difficult to get much more than say 100 IBU in your wort. Then it depends on what your current IBU is, and how much extra wort you want to add.

I would say consider dry-hopping it. It won't add any IBU, but the perception of hop aroma will add to the perception of hop flavor/bitterness.

I once boiled up some roasted grain to add some balance to the malt of a finished beer, which was too sweet when I used pilsner in an IPA. I think I added some hops to it also. If it is really underwhelmingly bitter, you can boil up a hop tea in some wort. If it is just a little bit not bitter, then carbing may help a bit.

Looking up hop shot says that it is a more gentle bitterness, so you don't really have anything to lose. You can add a quart or so of hot wort directly to the cold 5 gallons, as this will minimize oxygen and won't really increase your temp of the beer enough to do any harm.

I have done this. It works. Go for it.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll give it a shot. (Pun intended) I estimate the IBUs to be about 20 and want to bump it up to maybe 40 so I figure about 2 ml should do it. I just got some Mosaic so I think I will try dry hopping it also.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll give it a shot. (Pun intended) I estimate the IBUs to be about 20 and want to bump it up to maybe 40 so I figure about 2 ml should do it. I just got some Mosaic so I think I will try dry hopping it also.

How did this turn out? Can you give me a shirt step by step on how to did it with results? My pale ale came out delicious but the bitterness is just not there. How long did you have to condition it for?

Latest posts

Back