Hop shelf life question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunkerking

Reaction score
Considering buying an 8 oz package of pellet hops to use over the next 6 months or so instead of buying just the 1 oz package. My question is can these be opened then stored in the refrigerator and remain fresh/ usable ?

Thanks

Store in a sealed zip-loc freezer bag, in the freezer. Evacuate as much air as you can, or use a vacuum storage container.

I have some EKG I bought 2 years ago, still in great shape. I use a food sealer thing, sucks the air out, and heat seals the bag again. They have also been kept in the Freezer the whole time...

Hops in freezer can last for years depending on how well they are stored as everyone else has mentioned above. Also one other thing to think about is over time no matter what hops will lose alpha acids. A calculator like this will help you know exactly where you stand if you are trying to hit a certain IBU. 11% alpha acid won't be 11% in 2 years. At least that's how I understand it.......if you even care about this :D

Edit forgot to add the calculator http://www.brewerslair.com/index.php?p=brewhouse&d=calculators&id=cal16

Back