hop sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phish2160

Reaction score
When I brew I generally let the hot break and hops settle toward the bottom and siphon off the top out of my kettle into the fermentor. I always seem to get a good amount of the crap in my fermentor in order to get five gallons. I have unsuccessfully tried the whirpool technique. Thinking about bagging my hops in muslin bags. Any tips?

I always just pour the kettle through a funnel with a really fine mesh screen. it stops everything, but therefore requires a slow pour and constantly shoving blocking hops out of the way in order for liquid to flow through. i get a really clear finished produce in my fermenter. Works for pellet and whole leaf hops. check you lhbs for the screen and funnel, thats where i got mine.

I use a higher gauge mesh strainer and pour my wort from the boil through it into my chill pot...then I use a finer gauge strainer to transfer the cooled wort to my fermenter...I do one gallon batches so this is no real issue for me. Really has helped to remove some "gunk." I also found that when i transfer to my fermenter, I dont have any real blockage in the strainer until the very last 10%

The simplest solution is do a bigger boil. I get 5 in the keg, 5.75 into the fermenter, 6.5 post boil volume and ~8 gal pre-boil. I always transfer to get the clearest beer possible, if that means leaving behind a half gallon so be it, quality over quantity.

I also strain while pouring the wort into the fermenter. The resulting beers are clearer and the fermentation seems to kick off sooner.

The pro that painted my house used these paint strainers. They fit right in/on a 5 gallon bucket. If you ferment in a bucket this is an easy way to strain.

PaintStrainer.jpg

Back