Hop Screen/False Bottom for Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrymanback92

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm getting back into brewing. Picked up a much better job that gives me some $$$ for brewing. I've been upgrading my system (chest freezer, 2 kegs, grain mill, bulk grains and hops, ball valve for my kettle, immersion chiller, swamp pump etc).

I have been brewing IPA's almost exclusively (my favorite style, trying to nail a "House IPA" recipe to perfection). I've been using a ton of hops in these beers. Easily 9-10oz of hops, at times.

I want to install some kind of hop screen to my kettle. What are the best options?

I use a false bottom and a bazooka screen together. Still get some crap with pressed hops but whole cone hops stop one spot or the other.

@Hello-

Do you loose utilization with a feature like that? I tried Muslin bags for my hops and found that my beer had much less hop
Flavor/aroma then a batch that was Brewerd adding pellets straight into the boil.

@normonster

I was thinking something similar: a false bottom with stainless steel mesh crimped
Over it to sit at the bottom of the kettle to allow all the wort to drain through.

I'm not concerned about getting some cold
Break/hops in the fermentor, I just want to minimize wort loss

I'll be honest, I did not compare. It may be worth it now that you mention.

@Hello

I'll be honest, I used a different yeast (wlp001, hops added directly to boil vs. wlp051/ hops added in muslin bags) so the yeast may be the colbrate.) however, I added
Nearly 1lb in hops and my beer came out tasting like an ESB so I suspect that it was more then the yeast

I've wondered that as well, some of the "hob bags" look like they'd actually absorb/hold some of your hop oils, which is why I assume lots of people are using stainless options.

Back