Hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When a recipe says to add hops at "0.25 oz (7 g) Citra at 30 minutes" does that me 30 mins into the boil or 30 mins left to the boil?
Ive always interpreted this as the amount of minutes left in the boil. Most boils are a standard 60 minutes on average. So with this a 60minute addition is right at the beginning vs a 5minute addition is right close to the end of the boil. Based on a 60 minute boil time, your question about a 30minute addition is like asking is the glass half empty or half full as this is right in the middle ;) . Cheers!

When a recipe says to add hops at "0.25 oz (7 g) Citra at 30 minutes" does that me 30 mins into the boil or 30 mins left to the boil?

If you’re doing a 60 minute boil, yes.

I’m only poking fun because noob answered your question. Happy brewing!

lol at first I thought this was a riddle... since 60 min boils are pretty standard, 30 mins left or 30 mins to go is like asking glass half full or half empty?

But yeah the hop addition "times" confused me at first too.

According to "Generally Accepted Brewing Methods," all boil additions, not just hops, are timed backward from flameout. Flameout being 0' (minutes).

So 60' additions (hops) are added 60' before flameout, whether it's a 120', 90' or 60' boil. 5' additions (hops) are added 5 minutes before flameout. 0' additions (hops) are Flameout hops.

Back