Hop Rhizomes received dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barhoc11

Reaction score
I am new to the hop growing game so any help is appreciated.

Almost 2 weeks ago I received some Cascade rhizomes in the mail and they had multiple white bines coming off of them already and have taken off since I put them in a pot.

After purchasing those I decided to purchase a different variety from a different vendor and after receiving them today, I can say they are not nearly in as good of condition as I had from the first company.

The nugget rhizome was decently sized and had 1 white bine coming off of it but it does not look like my cascades when I received them.

The Centennial rhizome I received had no white bines coming off of it and looked very dry.

I put both of the rhizomes immediately into a pot and watered them, is there any hope for these actually sprouting successfully? Do the white bines that come on the rhizome have to be there when received?

Thanks in advance for your help.

In order, yes, and no.

Hops are remarkably tenacious little plants. As long as the rhizomes a) had a "sprouting node" (not necessarily sprouts), and b) were flexible (not brittle), there's a very good chance they'll sprout. They might take a little while longer than otherwise, but don't give up on them too soon.

Give 'em about 2 weeks in the dirt, and regular watering.

My 2 kopecks, YMMV.
--Misha

Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear so I will keep them nice and moist and see what happens. My Cascades shot through the dirt in less than a week so I will hope these do the same in 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back