Hop potting soil and Fertilizer help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastforwardx2

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am going to be planting hops for the first time and I will be growing them in large, self watering containers I built. I was just wondering if anyone had a good DIY potting mix recipe and what kind and hope fertilizer I may need. Thanks for any help.

JJ

Hops like easier draining soil so that the moisture doesn't sit on the roots. I used vegetable Miracle-Gro to fertilize but I am not sure if that is good or bad.

Any good potting soil will work to the sandy side is better good drainage a must M grow is fine but put a spoon of borax in yearly (boron)

I'm growing in containers now. Mix soil or compost, sand, gravel, and perlite.
Fill containers with substrate and water. Let sit overnight, or until substrate reaches room temperature. I sat my containers near a heating vent. Once soil reaches temp, Dig a shallow hole and cover rhizome. Make sure you put the nodes facing upwards and the roots downward. Cover with no more than an inch of soil. I planted 8 rhizomes within the past week, they all have sprouted already. Good luck, and be careful not to overwater when plants are young.

Thanks for the replies.
For the fertilizer I was wondering should I use some 5-5-5 or maybe 10-5-10 ….. any ideas?

I used vigoro 10-10-10 with great results. I potted mine with a mix of mushroom compost, topsoil, and vegetable potting soil. I watered like crazy. Makes sure your pots have holes in the bottom for drainage. Be aware that your root system will bore right through those holes into any soil underneath it. I got at least 4oz dry yield out of my first year plants.

Thanks thaymond,

My pot has holes at the bottom. It is a self watering pot so there is a water reservior at the bottom so I am interested in seeing what the hop roots will do.

Garrett Juice or some other organic fertilizer. Use something that will add nutrients and stimulate soil biology.

MG and the like do add nutrients and will produce results that look great. They also reduce the soils natural abilities and build dependence on more and more so called "chemical fertilizers" to continuously achieve those results.

Of course, everything is chemicals. You, me and the hops, too. All chemicals. But these miraculous blue powdery chemicals ain't so great. They kill microbes that improve soil health by breaking down dead plant material, bind trace nutrients and inhibit plants from taking up what's left free.

Organics are also cheaper in the long run. Hell, they can be nearly free. Compost and mulch yard trimmings. Organics can be used much more liberally without fear of burning plants, but they don't have to be put out near as often as non organics. Every seven to fourteen days? Ha! One to three times a season with organics.

My second year hops look great growing in their composted and mulched bed with one dose of GJ. The quince are blooming. Leaves are popping out all over on roses and the peach tree. The flowers are coming back; the iris are about to bloom, and even the angel trumpet is rising from it's once snowed over bed. The vegetable garden produces more peppers than I can give away. All organic.

Zuljin,

Thanks for the information. I want to be as organic as possible but at this time I can't do a compost pile ( as far as I know .... never have done one but have a backyard. I will try and find a how to for a compost pile) so trying to find an organic store bought fertilizer, which is difficult being in Japan and not able to read the labels.

Back