Hop Liqueur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysobry

Reaction score
A post little bit off topic …does anyone have tried to use the hop for producing an “hop liqueur” ?? :confused:

There are many herbs and spices that are used in alcohol infusion in order to produce an after dinner liqueur / digestive

I think that bitter and aroma hop could produce a very pleasant liqueur, …I suppose that essential oil and resin should solve in alcohol than adding sugar (maybe malt extract) and water you can obtain the proper bitterness and alcohol strength.

If anyone has direct experience or knows any commercial product is appreciated :)

Regards
Davide

I've never heard of a commercial product, but an old hillbilly friend of mine used to spike his beer with shots of his 'shine that he'd left hops "a-soakin-in". He never charcoaled or filtered his white lightning, so i never had the nerve to taste it, though....apparently, the flavor oils are alcohol-soluble, though (couldn't really smell much over the nostril-burning fumes).

Homercidal said:
The only thing I've heard of is New Holland's "Hopquila", which they make at the brewery/distillery. I really want to try it.

I had the hopquila at a local brewery here in chicago. The one bartender had a bottle and from what I remeber it was different but tasty!

Thank you for the interesting reference..

I have found some notes about hopquilla...is an unaged whisky (double distillation of 100% barley wash) with infusion of centennial hop..

It combines malt taste and citrus/herbal taste

Since I'm not allowed to distill my wort :(...I can try starting from pure white spirit adding water, malt extract (instead of sugar) and off course hop..

Found also a reference in Italy...an Italian grappa (distilled from pomace) added with malt and hop and aged in wood barrel
http://www.distillerialecrode.com/en/prodotti.htm

I let you know the results of my experiments

buddy of mine got 1lb of wet hops from me, he plans on using it in tea for to help his anxiety. if the tea boil method does not work he plans on using vodka. said he would take 1oz of hops and add enough vodka to cover all hops well. after sitting for 7days he was gonna remove all hops(or remove all vodka however u prefer) then add more hops. so on and so on till he used 6-10 oz of hops. then do a hops shot rather than a tea. not sure if it will work will post again when i see results.

Back