Hop Hammer dry hop not falling out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtian

Reaction score
I'm brewing a knock off JZ's hop hammer. I dry hopped. It calls for 10 oz of hops to 5 gallons in the dry hop. Anyhow it's been a few days and those hopes are looking like they have no intention on falling out, are all pooled on top. Any suggestions. Probably gonna look for a very thin stirring device i can sanitize and see if a stir helps but at least for now kind of looks like a mess. Any body else have a similar prob with large dry hop addition? Any advice. This is my largest dry hop ever.

rack out from underneath the layer of hops?

I did that recipe and had some hop bits in the first few beers out of the keg (I did pellets in a bag); they settled and the beer came out clean in the end. Good beer!

How do you bag that many pellets in a bag and get it into or out of a carboy? You must be fermenting in a bucket or conical right?

I put my syphon inside a paint strainer bag and syphon underneath the hops.

Cold crash for a week or two. Mine fall out by the second week.

Cold crashing takes out a lot of the hop aroma, defeating the purpose of using so many dry hops.

I dry hop my IPA's with 2-3 oz loose pellet hops (5 gal) and the hops never drop out, I just wrap 2 paint strainers over my cane and rack from under them.

Jayhem said:
Cold crashing takes out a lot of the hop aroma, defeating the purpose of using so many dry hops.

I dry hop my IPA's with 2-3 oz loose pellet hops (5 gal) and the hops never drop out, I just wrap 2 paint strainers over my cane and rack from under them.

I have had decent results without loosing too much aroma. pellets pack a punch with aroma. I have done both numerous times. I switched to cold crashing or i use whole leaf because of all the sediment I was getting even with bag its s PIA.

Although if I chose not to cold crash and use pellets I'd place them in a bag with a stainless steel weight when I transferred to secondary.

Jayhem said:
I like that idea, may try that next time I do an IPA.

I was skeptical about it at first thinking the hops won't expand and give off the awesome smell being in a bag. But like most of my thoughts like this I was wrong. Just make sure you boil the bag and spray some starsan on the stainless steel ball or what ever you use..make sure it's stainless though..Works like a charm. No hop hassle during bottling and no junk in your bottled beer.

I tried the tea ball right in the keg (secondary) but given how much the pellets swell I used two tea balls for 1.5 oz hops. Sitting at RT for a week then will chill to drinking temp.

Would it be an issue to start carbonation at RT?

bradpoff said:
I tried the tea ball right in the keg (secondary) but given how much the pellets swell I used two tea balls for 1.5 oz hops. Sitting at RT for a week then will chill to drinking temp.

Would it be an issue to start carbonation at RT?

Depends I guess. What's your thought process on why you would do this?

Well I'm not going to cold crash and I realize far less CO2 absorption at RT but I should be able to get part way there during the dry hop stage. This is the third keg I've done. First was force carbed and I over did it, second on is chilled and slow carbing, I thought I try slow carbing at RT during DH and chill for another method variable.

my friend and i have a kegorator that we share but instead of me trying to explain settings cause my notes are at home this video is really good trouble shoot on pressures and what not..its a bit dry but we have never had an issue with starting pressure or serving pressure. :) if this is not what you were asking than i misread your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
bradpoff said:
Thanks, that's dead on with what I'm doing. You're right, a bit dry!

Awesome. Good luck I hope this helped. Post a pic of a beer from your keg or subscribe to my YouTube channel as thanks. Lol shameless plug. We had the same problems kegging so I know your frustration. Cheers!

Will do and sorry to have hijacked the thread... Back to our regularly scheduled programming!

Back