Hop garden pic & what is this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Quick shot of my hop garden. Also what is going on this leaf? What is that bug?

Attachments

• IMG_20180622_181749112.jpg
    IMG_20180622_181749112.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20180622_182526832.jpg
    IMG_20180622_182526832.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20180622_183235.jpg
    IMG_20180622_183235.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 209
The bugs in pic#2 are larvae of lady bugs. Also known as aphid lions- they are the good guys. If you have that many around then for sure you have aphids. Pic#1 does look like you have a web with some small white bugs. A little hard to see to be sure what kind of bug

That leaf doesn't look healthy. Or even alive. It also looks like there are webs between sections of the leaf. If they are spider webs, that's ok (and maybe even good because spiders will eat pest insects). But if they are mites, that's a bad thing.

I doing recognize the bug, but I'm guessing it's not a good one.

I'd spray with insecticidal soap.

No doubt that those little black aligator things are ladybug larva. Just do a search for it and will see tons of pics.

Ok thanks for the info... Lots of lady bugs around the garden. Definitely have a good amount of spider webs too.

I've notice the bottom foot or so of some of the hops look like that leaf. They all are really green and prolific up top though

Check for ants near the base, sticky feelings on or around the plants. If either, start looking on the backs of leaves for aphids.

Rather than start a new thread on the same topic I was also wondering what is happening to the hops I have growing on the side of my house? I’ll start by saying that I mistakenly planted the rhizomes directly in the ground and we have a lot of clay where we live (suburban Chicago) could this be a symptom of roots drowning in the dense clay. It’s a shame because both plants otherwise look healthy, have grown the most of all my hop plants and look like they are going to produce a decent amount of hops
IMG_0649.jpg
IMG_0650.jpg
IMG_0651.jpg
IMG_0652.jpg

I always try to remove the leaves at the bottom. I cut all of the leaves off for the first two feet or so.

Your first picture: the yellow leaf with web and tiny tiny bugs.... it really look like spider mites (a close up would help, but still look like that). Spider mites will suck up sap and heavily infested leaves will slowly turn yellow. Also, they are so small, you almost need to put your nose on the leaves to see them clearly...the 2 black dots they have on their back.

When I first started growing hops, I read that some pests lived near the ground and would climb up and infest the leaves. They could slowly move up and infest leaves that were higher. Eliminating lower leaves makes it so they can't get a start.

If I remember correctly, the pest thus targeted is the mite. I'm pretty sure the symptoms I saw that year were similar to the pictures in the first post.

Rather than start a new thread on the same topic I was also wondering what is happening to the hops I have growing on the side of my house? I’ll start by saying that I mistakenly planted the rhizomes directly in the ground and we have a lot of clay where we live (suburban Chicago) could this be a symptom of roots drowning in the dense clay. It’s a shame because both plants otherwise look healthy, have grown the most of all my hop plants and look like they are going to produce a decent amount of hopsView attachment 576329View attachment 576330View attachment 576331View attachment 576332

The sad looking lower leaves in your pic are due to the plant reallocating nutrients from those to the upper portion where the cones are in the process of developing. The reproductive phase of growth requires massive amounts of inputs in the form of energy and nutrients so if the plants can't get it from the soil, they steal it from wherever they can find it and direct it to the more important function at this time. Your plants look healthy otherwise so I wouldn't worry about it.

Your first picture: the yellow leaf with web and tiny tiny bugs.... it really look like spider mites (a close up would help, but still look like that). Spider mites will suck up sap and heavily infested leaves will slowly turn yellow. Also, they are so small, you almost need to put your nose on the leaves to see them clearly...the 2 black dots they have on their back.
I second the possibility of spider mites. Well known to hops and their relatives

Rather than start a new thread on the same topic I was also wondering what is happening to the hops I have growing on the side of my house? I’ll start by saying that I mistakenly planted the rhizomes directly in the ground and we have a lot of clay where we live (suburban Chicago) could this be a symptom of roots drowning in the dense clay. It’s a shame because both plants otherwise look healthy, have grown the most of all my hop plants and look like they are going to produce a decent amount of hopsView attachment 576329View attachment 576330View attachment 576331View attachment 576332
Increase your plant food. Those suckers look hungry!

I have bone meal, blood meal, and plant fertilizer from Menards that’s apparently vegetable garden safe. Any suggestions on which may be best?

Also what the heck is going on with my cascade? Leaves are shriveling like crazy but it’s still producing hops.
IMG_0655.jpg

Thanks all! This is all useful feedback!

The sad looking lower leaves in your pic are due to the plant reallocating nutrients from those to the upper portion where the cones are in the process of developing. The reproductive phase of growth requires massive amounts of inputs in the form of energy and nutrients so if the plants can't get it from the soil, they steal it from wherever they can find it and direct it to the more important function at this time. Your plants look healthy otherwise so I wouldn't worry about it.

Kinda figured that was the case. These are third year plants and are growing leap and bounds beyond the past two.

FWIW I pinch side shoots off and have not had any issues. Would assume leaves could be pinched off too.

I have bone meal, blood meal, and plant fertilizer from Menards that’s apparently vegetable garden safe. Any suggestions on which may be best?

Also what the heck is going on with my cascade? Leaves are shriveling like crazy but it’s still producing hops. View attachment 576473

Thanks all! This is all useful feedback!

Is the whole plant like that? If it's just that part of the plant I would guess that the bine snapped. As far as fertilizer goes I would use whichever has the highest potassium since that's what they need the most once they start flowering. Blood meal is high in nitrogen which hops need early in the season so that will be good to use next Spring. Bone meal is high is phosphorus which hops don't need very much of so I hardly ever use that.

Latest posts

Back