hop accident

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TR6

Reaction score
So I typically dry hop with an 11" fine mesh hop tube inside the keg. I filled my keg from my fermenter, and went to toss in the hop tube with about 3 oz of pellets inside. Just as I saw the tube sink out of site, the lid popped off the hop tube (it grazed my hand that I was holding the filler tube with), and I could see floaties on top of the beer.

Sooo I don't want hops clogging things up or in my guests teeth. Should I add gelatin in to try and get the hops to sink to the bottom (and will they sink?), or am I screwed?

You might transfer to another keg. It still might clog during the process, but you can clear it as you go.
If any hops remain to get stuck in your friends' teeth, tell them it's the latest beer style. :)

For the future... I just built something for my dry hopping keg which may help you.

I took one of these: 2.8x11 dry hop filter, drilled a hole in the lid similar to this:
keg%20filter%209-150x150.jpg
except I drilled mine large enough for a typical black airlock grommet. Before I put the dip tube through the lid on the grommet, but before I screwed the lid back on, I put a screen on the dip tube, too: dip tube screen
Then screw the big filter on. I'll try to take some pictures of my setup this weekend when I'm cleaning that keg.

I dry hop in that keg and then transfer to a serving keg, but there's probably no reason I couldn't serve out of the dry hopping keg. I guess I just like cleaning extra kegs... :)

For this keg, I would try to transfer and see what happens. It might be a tricky run this time. I don't think adding gelatin will help much.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back