honeysuckle beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
I really want to make a honeysuckle lager/pilsner or wheat. I know of people who have tried and failed with natural honeysuckle's. Has anyone brewed a batch with an extract version? I'm desperate, ill take any useful suggestions. Thank you to all those who take the time to post on this thread.

I make a honeysuckle cordial that I find mixes really well with summery beers like cream ale or American wheat beers. Maybe make a honeysuckle extract (no sweetener, but honeysuckle and vodka) and add a bit of it to the secondary?

I make a honeysuckle cordial that I find mixes really well with summery beers like cream ale or American wheat beers. Maybe make a honeysuckle extract (no sweetener, but honeysuckle and vodka) and add a bit of it to the secondary?

i appreciate your help. i am however worried that adding alcohol will dry out my beer. im looking to do a lighter colored beer but don't want to sacrifice body. everything i have read so far is similar to what you said to do. if there is no other way, i may have to heed your advice. What does your cordial entail?

I really want to make a honeysuckle lager/pilsner or wheat. I know of people who have tried and failed with natural honeysuckle's. Has anyone brewed a batch with an extract version? I'm desperate, ill take any useful suggestions. Thank you to all those who take the time to post on this thread.

by "extract version" i mean the honeysuckle extract not the beer... sorry if its confusing.

i appreciate your help. i am however worried that adding alcohol will dry out my beer. im looking to do a lighter colored beer but don't want to sacrifice body. everything i have read so far is similar to what you said to do. if there is no other way, i may have to heed your advice. What does your cordial entail?

Fill a gallon bag with fresh-picked honeysuckle (that's what I take when I go pick it, and it fills up with the part near the bottom packing down a bit as I go while the rest of it stays looser; I've never weighed it to know precisely how much honeysuckle that is), then put it in a gallon jar and add 12oz of orange blossom honey and 2-3 cups of white sugar. Add enough vodka to fill the jar up (about three bottles), let it steep for a couple weeks, stirring regularly (don't worry about the top layer of flowers darkening just yet, just stir them back down). Then, over the next month or so, take out the darkest top layer of the flowers every few days, topping it off with vodka (not bottom-shelf, but it doesn't have to be top-of-the-line either). Once you're out of flowers, let it sit for about another month to mellow out a bit. It's very heady and very floral (but not easily identifiable as honeysuckle in specific), with an unexpected earthy undertone.

For an extract, I'd pack the flowers down a bit and add just enough vodka or everclear to cover them, then wait a couple weeks and strain.

Latest posts

Back