Honey Brown (clone)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandlerBang

Reaction score
My FIL digs Honey Brown. I would like to brew something similar to that, but I don't want it to be a clone. Mainly because I don't want the pressure of comparison. (lol)

I am too much of a novice to be able to drink a beer and say what flavors and characters and magic powder would create a similar brew, sooooooo that is why I'm asking HBT.

I would also prefer something in kit, even if it is AG, I don't think I'm ready to go shopping for ingredients and expect to get it right. I'll figure that one out later.

Thoughts?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/honey-nut-brown-ale.html

Honey Nut Brown Ale

Product Description
Our selection of malt gives this smooth brown ale a hint of nutty flavor, while the honey delivers a sweet finish. A great kit for brewers who are starting to appreciate darker homebrews. Our ingredients for this recipe include 6 lbs. Amber liquid malt extract, 2 lbs. Minnesota Clover Honey, 8 oz. Crystal 10L Malt, 4 oz. Chocolate Malt specialty grains, 1.5 oz. German Northern Brewer bittering hops, 0.5 oz. Willamette aroma hops, 1 tsp. Gypsum, 1 tsp. Irish Moss, yeast, priming sugar and a grain bag.

No I dont work at any brew store. No I have not (YET) tried this brew.

Opinions on adding extra honey and how much???

I'm a fan of Honey Brown! I used to drink it when I lived in Georgia and Hawaii, now I'm in Oregon where it's made and can't find it anywhere, go figure! I don't remember if I was drinking Dundee's, I do remember the bottle saying Oregon Honey Brown.
I'd love a clone recipe...

Don't give a new guy a lager! He'll never make it and likely lacks the stup. He, like me, will want to taste, then drink, then that one night with several friends come over and (poof). Do an ale that is drinkable early, a nut brown with honey is a great choice because it will mask a lot of imperfections that everyone makes when starting. You don't really have to beat anything, when you say I made this and it is very enjoyable to the drinker you win, even if Newcastle, for example, is better. Have fun, it is not rocket science unless you want it to be.

Also, when trying to impress FIL without a lot of experience, stick to a mostly extract kit, steeping some specialty grains is easy and worthwhile IMO. Make up a label identifying it as his beer and you are GOLDEN. Trust me, I have 4 daughers.

Also, when trying to impress FIL without a lot of experience, stick to a mostly extract kit, steeping some specialty grains is easy and worthwhile IMO. Make up a label identifying it as his beer and you are GOLDEN. Trust me, I have 4 daughers.

lol Not really trying to impress him, just looking to the people around me to come up with a variety of types/flavors. I'll pretty much drink anything.

And I do have (most) of the equipment. I bought out a guy. Now the trick is using it.

In that case, (forgive the cup references but recipe meant for those w/o a scale):

1 cup Crystal 60
2 cups chocolate malt
5# LME
1# mild honey( clover, some wildflower, etc.)
1 oz Golding 60 min
.5 oz Golding 15 min

Safale 04 or liquid English ale

Steep the choc and crystal rather than mash, color/flavor is all you are looking for. For a bit more Dundee flavor add another .5# honey after boil (assuming honey is clean). 60 min boil of 2.5-5 gallons depending on your cooling ability. The more the better, but you want to get down to ~70 (or ambient) in a reasonable amount of time. Pitch & wait.

If you are a fan of honey brown and dark beers the True Brew Nut Brown Ale is a great one! I don't buy the kit anymore since I buy my own ingredients but I follow the recipe. When I move to AG in the Spring I will have to have the experts here transpose it into an AG recipe. Everyone loves it and it is one of the beers I always have either in Primary or in a keg and preferably both!

PM me and I will give you the recipe.

Back