Homemade grains for brewday!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h4mmy86

Reaction score
Hey,

Got a cool brew planned for tomorrow! I took some 2 row and divided up and made crystal ?L, brown malt and pale chocolate ..or something like that. Anyway it should make for a toasty brown ale!

ForumRunner_20131023_230315.jpg

Nice looking grains! I have home roasted grain many times with great results. Some people recommend letting the darker roasts sit for a few days to a few weeks before using them, so they can off gas/ mellow. Report back on how it turns out.

those grains look so good I just want to soak them in water and take the resulting juice and boil it up with some hops. That's what I'd do to those grains.

Got my brew boiling as I type! Tasted a little before putting it on and it was sweet, toasty, bready, with just the slightest burnt aftertaste. This should make a very tasty brown ale indeed! Came out very dark. Gonna keep the IBUs low on this one using American hops and fermenting it out with Windsor.

Very anxious to try this brew out!

Fermentation just started last night and the krausen looks pretty wild, has this dark film around the edges, but all seems to be going well! Really excited to try this brew.

ForumRunner_20131027_232451.png

ForumRunner_20131027_232514.png

ForumRunner_20131027_232521.png

...and the krausen fell yesterday! Windsor sure does fall out fast. Gonna primary 3 weeks before kegging but I'll keep you guys posted on how this one goes. Came out much darker than I anticipated but I'm cool with that. Should have a pretty interesting brew here! :ban:

Kegged today and had a FG of about 1.020

Thought there would be a little more fermentable sugar than that but all the same this brew came out to be about 4.6% abv and absolutely delicious from what I can tell. The gravity sample put me in mind of the Sam Adams hazel brown ale. Really excited for this brew!

Back