Homemade fruit purees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
Once summer rolls around (long time away, I know) I plan on making a blackberry brown ale. My girlfriend's parents have dozens of blackberry bushes on their property so I was thinking I'd eschew the whole Oregon puree thing and create my own.

I am wondering if anyone has their own recipes for fruit purees and/or are there any precautions I need to make when making my own fruit purees.

I'd think with the berries you could probably just freeze, thaw and then crush them. No need to go all the way to puree.

I would definitely pasteurize the fruit after crushing by bringing it up to 165F, cooling quickly and pitching it in.

Puree the fruit, seal it up in a bag and pasteurize via sous vide. IMHO, Oregon purees are ridiculously expensive vs. their regular canned fruit, to the extent that it is worth the trouble to puree it in a blender and re-pasteurize before use.

Puree the fruit, seal it up in a bag and pasteurize via sous vide. IMHO, Oregon purees are ridiculously expensive vs. their regular canned fruit, to the extent that it is worth the trouble to puree it in a blender and re-pasteurize before use.
Agree Oregon brand fruit purees are ridiculously high priced, though the quality is always top-flight. Disagree that their canned fruit is relatively inexpensive. I pay as much as $3 or more per can of their tart red cherries when I can even FIND them. They're the best in SWMBO's Holiday Cherry Pie 🍒.

Back