homemade carbonation solution for hard seltzer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primuspaul

Reaction score
Basically I want to carbonate gin/vodka cocktails to make them better. What's my best option? I'm OK with a wrench/basic plumbing, but if I can spend a few bucks more for a better/more reliable system I'd do that since parts for a DIY solution won't be free either.

Also what are good refill solutions in the Northern New Jersey area?

What volume are you looking to do at a time? You can get corny style kegs in many different sizes: 1.5, 2.5, 3, 5, 6, 10, 15 gallons are all readily available. You don't have to make a whole faucet tap system; a fridge, CO2 tank/regulator, and a picnic tap/pluto gun works great.

You can get an adapter to run a sodastream direct from a large cylinder or to refill the sodastream cylinder yourself from a big cylinder.
Second hand sodastreams are easy to find.
Small keg, long dip tube on the gas and a carbonation stone on the end of the gas diptube should carb you up quickly.
But don't forget the non return valve on the gas line.

What volume are you looking to do at a time? You can get corny style kegs in many different sizes: 1.5, 2.5, 3, 5, 6, 10, 15 gallons are all readily available. You don't have to make a whole faucet tap system; a fridge, CO2 tank/regulator, and a picnic tap/pluto gun works great.
Low volume since these will be martinis. I'm just making it for myself.

You can get an adapter to run a sodastream direct from a large cylinder or to refill the sodastream cylinder yourself from a big cylinder.
Second hand sodastreams are easy to find.
Small keg, long dip tube on the gas and a carbonation stone on the end of the gas diptube should carb you up quickly.
But don't forget the non return valve on the gas line.
Does SodaStream have a min volume? Because is not for soda, but for alcoholic cocktails.

They have two bottle sizes, 1000ml and 500ml.

You need to make sure that the probe that injects the gas is below the water level. Memory serves me that you can consequently fill to less volume than the max capacity.
More headspace will effect the carbonation I think to a degree but not significantly. I can have a play when I get home, but I think we've only got 1000ml bottles. But that should give a ratio.

CO2 tank, regulator, some hosing, fittings and a carb cap? Could be used to carb up anything... Probably cost less than a soda stream system....and you're halfway to a kegging system :)

You need to make sure that the probe that injects the gas is below the water level.
You can always add a length of 1/4 inch tubing to carbonate smaller volumes.
CO2 tank, regulator, some hosing, fittings and a carb cap? Could be used to carb up anything... Probably cost less than a soda stream system....and you're halfway to a kegging system :)
A CO2 tank is probably going to cost as much as a SodaStream all by itself. And being halfway to a kegging system isn't very useful if you're not intending to keg anything. :yes:

You can always add a length of 1/4 inch tubing to carbonate smaller volumes.

A CO2 tank is probably going to cost as much as a SodaStream all by itself. And being halfway to a kegging system isn't very useful if you're not intending to keg anything. :yes:
Fair enough, I'm not in USA. Those things are much cheaper where I live... Maybe you could find them used on the cheap?

Maybe you could find them used on the cheap?
Maybe. I can get a 5 lb CO2 tank that needs hydro testing for $20 on Craigslist and then spend another $50 or $60 to get it certified and filled. Or I can get a "like new still in box" SodaStream system for $40.

It just seems a bit expensive. I was also concerned about the logistics of refills / what is cheaper long-term with those in mind.
It's really going to depend on how many cocktails you plan to carbonate. $22 for 5 lb of CO2 is obviously a much better deal than $17 for 0.5 lb, but a 60 liter SodaStream cylinder will last you quite a while if you're just doing a couple of drinks a couple of times a week. If you make a lot of carbonated cocktails or want to keep a gallon or more on hand pre-mixed and pre-carbed, then it's probably worth the upfront cost of a real CO2 tank and a minikeg or pressure-capable growler.

It's really going to depend on how many cocktails you plan to carbonate. $22 for 5 lb of CO2 is obviously a much better deal than $17 for 0.5 lb, but a 60 liter SodaStream cylinder will last you quite a while if you're just doing a couple of drinks a couple of times a week. If you make a lot of carbonated cocktails or want to keep a gallon or more on hand pre-mixed and pre-carbed, then it's probably worth the upfront cost of a real CO2 tank and a minikeg or pressure-capable growler.
But people say SodaStream will go bad if you carbonate alcohol in it. Isn't it only for water?

What if you keg your carbonated water, and then mix it with the alcohol in the glass?

If you are making a big batch at once, a keg of the alcohol makes sense, but if you are making by the drink then a keg of soda water works great, plus you can have soda water on tap, which is fantastic.

people say SodaStream will go bad if you carbonate alcohol in it
Never heard that. What's supposed to "go bad"? The drink? I know that you're not supposed to add the flavored syrups until after you carbonate the water, so I suppose that you wouldn't want to carbonate a sweet or syrupy cocktail. Not sure about a martini. The bottles? There are stainless steel bottles that are compatible. Of course, then you'd be spending more money...

If you are looking for an inexpensive unit that plumbs into mains water and uses your existing fridge this is a good solution that I use myself:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/continuous-soda-carbonator-keg-lid.html
Please be aware I am biased as we sell this stuff but the above solution is cheap and works great.

We do have other more expensive turnkey solutions too but this above solution is the best value for a plumbed system.

Maybe. I can get a 5 lb CO2 tank that needs hydro testing for $20 on Craigslist and then spend another $50 or $60 to get it certified and filled
There are places where you can swap tanks that don't check hydro-test dates. You swap out the empty tank and a few dollars for a full tank.

There are places where you can swap tanks that don't check hydro-test dates. You swap out the empty tank and a few dollars for a full tank.
There are no such places where I live, and the best swap price is $22. As I said, that's a much better deal than $17 for a SodaStream refill.

If you are looking for an inexpensive unit that plumbs into mains water and uses your existing fridge this is a good solution that I use myself:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/continuous-soda-carbonator-keg-lid.html
Please be aware I am biased as we sell this stuff but the above solution is cheap and works great.

We do have other more expensive turnkey solutions too but this above solution is the best value for a plumbed system.
Not so useful if you aren't using corney kegs.
Also how would this work for cocktails?

Except it's also the most expensive way to buy Co2. I would argue that store bought seltzer by the liter is probably the same price as a cartridge.
Assuming that the OP wants to water down his cocktails. I don't know too many people who add seltzer to martinis.

The SodaStream website says that a 410 gram co2 tank makes 60 liters of seltzer. That's about 6.8 grams per liter. Then a 16 gram co2 cartridge should carbonate 2.35 liters of cocktails. At around $2.00 a cartridge, that can get pricey. I guess it really matters how many martinis he making.

https://www.sodaexchange.com/product/classic-cartridge-refill/

I missed that post when he wrote "martinis" but that renders everything moot. You can't carbonate a martini as the alcohol content is too high.
Yeah, so I guess the best one could do is to make VERY highly carbonated water and add just a splash to your drink. Like maybe 8 volumes?

Carbonation cap. Fits PET soda bottles. And this version of the charger comes with a ball lock quick disconnect (QD), which you will also need. Can probably find better prices.
i think carbonation cap + PET soda bottle + Co2 tank and regulator is the easiest option for very small volume cocktail,recipes. can do 1L or 2L sizes in soda bottles. After carbonation can be kept in refrigerator and pour as needed.

i think carbonation cap + PET soda bottle + Co2 tank and regulator is the easiest option for very small volume cocktail,recipes
I'm still not completely sure that I understand exactly what the OP is trying to do. The thread title says hard seltzer but post #7 says martinis.

8 volumes at say 36°F needs around 65 psi to get there. Whatcha gonna store that in?
I've read that PET soda bottles can handle 10 volumes at 68F, and that a 2 liter bottle of Coke has around 50 psi at room temp (supposedly at 4.5 volumes). They don't rupture until well over 100 psi (again, if you can believe what you read on the internet).

Yeah, I read the title as seltzer so I'm assuming making seltzer was the goal but then in the thread the word "cocktail" came up, which can also be some mixture of seltzer, fruit juice and other things that can be carbonated. Then the word "martini" was used, which is USUALLY just spirits that ends up being about 40% ABV (no carbonation gonna happen there). I guess the conclusion is that the OP doesn't know what time of day it is or has consumed too many Martini Seltzer Cocktails.

I've read that PET soda bottles can handle 10 volumes at 68F, and that a 2 liter bottle of Coke has around 50 psi at room temp (supposedly at 4.5 volumes). They don't rupture until well over 100 psi (again, if you can believe what you read on the internet).
Getting the volumes and keeping the volumes are very different. Once the cap is removed and the first bubble forms, you've got a nucleation point chain reaction.

Latest posts

Back