Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made these last weekend using the 1-2-3 formulation (I believe this formulation was originally created using a 100% hydration starter, so, if your starter is higher or lower hydration, you need to adjust the amount of water in the "2" step to achieve the target....which is about 71% if I remember correctly.) These loaves were retarded in the fridge during the final rise, about 12 hours....not sure why the round one achieved less oven spring.....

Looking good

Been trying to make some plain old white bread loaf. They've been collapsing after they cool. Tastes good, makes good toast, but in the collapsed state they're too dense for sandwich bread. Comes out of the oven in a nice looking loaf, collapses to a cinderblock as it cools and ages over the next day or so. Well, not quite a cinderblock, but you get the drift. :)

What gives?

I'm no bread expert, but sounds like the structure isn't strong enough, which would make me question the gluten development. Are you using bread flour and or how much kneading are you doing?

Been trying to make some plain old white bread loaf. They've been collapsing after they cool. Tastes good, makes good toast, but in the collapsed state they're too dense for sandwich bread. Comes out of the oven in a nice looking loaf, collapses to a cinderblock as it cools and ages over the next day or so. Well, not quite a cinderblock, but you get the drift. :)

What gives?

That sounds really frustrating. Is it gummy or overly moist too? Have you experimented with giving it more time in the oven? Just some thoughts, I haven't had a similar situation yet.

What gives?

What is your hydration ratio. I use 66%. 38 ounces of bread flour to 25 ounces of water for two 2 pound loaves. 375°F oven for 45 minutes to reach an internal temperature of 205°. This is a slightly tweaked Julia Child's white bread recipe.

Early on I had some cave ins with a lower hydration level.

The recipe calls for all-purpose unbleached white flour but I've tried subbing 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4 bread flour. More or less same results.

Kneading for 15min.

Maybe I should make the recipe as-is to see what happens?

I hadn't previously calculated hydration as was using a canned recipe, but the math comes out at 66.4%

The recipe calls for all-purpose unbleached white flour but I've tried subbing 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4 bread flour. More or less same results.

Kneading for 15min.

I hadn't previously calculated hydration as was using a canned recipe, but the math comes out at 66.4%

This is the recipe I'm using.

Frank's White Bread, Two 2 pound loaves Stand Mixer for kneading
All ingredients at room temperature
25 Ounces tap water
38 Ounces bread flour
2 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs canning/pickling salt
1/4 Cup dry milk powder
14 Grams instant yeast
4 Tbs softened butter​
Blend all dry ingredients in mixing bowl with whisk.
Mix dry ingredients and water at low speed in mixer bowl. Hydrate for 5 minutes.
Knead for 3 to 5 minutes on speed 2 until the dough is smooth.
Slowly drizzle in butter. The dough will come apart. A little flour can be added after a minute to help pull the dough back if necessary.
Total kneading time 8 to 9 minutes.
Turn dough out on lightly oiled surface and shape it into a ball then place back in oiled mixing bowl.
Turn dough so it is completely coated in the oil, cover in oiled plastic for 45 minutes to an hour, at room temperature, till it has doubled in size.
Deflate the dough and turn out onto a lightly oiled surface. Cut into two 32 ounce loaves.
Shape loaves, deflate bubbles that appear.
Drop in oiled loaf pans.
Cover the loaves with oiled plastic wrap and allow to rise at room temperature, about 35 to 45 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375°F with the rack in the center of the oven.
Bake for 40 - 45 minutes, 205° to 206°F internal temperature.

What gives?
How do you get to Carnegie Hall, practice;) Took me a long time and a lot of dense loafs to figure it out.
Keep it up and don't get frustrated.
I've been trying to grow a sourdough starter for the last couple of weeks... First 2 attempts smelled horrible and were summarily dumped. Third one smells much better but does not look like what I expected.

What I went with was 1 cup purified water (my tap water is terrible) and 1 cup of whole wheat flour. Replaced half at 24/48/72 hours with 1/2 cup of each. On 4th day I did not discard any just added 1 cup of flour and about 3/4 cup of water. On 5th day took half and added 2 cups of flour and 1.75 cups of water.

It currently looks a little like under cooked/uncooked sourdough bread and smells pungent like I expected. Problem is, I've never actually seen a sourdough starter, never made one and do not remember my Mother or Grandmothers ever having one. Any suggestions?
This,
http://carlsfriends.net/
I started mine from them many years ago, must be close to twenty years since I bought bread yeast.
Made these last weekend using the 1-2-3 formulation (I believe this formulation was originally created using a 100% hydration starter, so, if your starter is higher or lower hydration, you need to adjust the amount of water in the "2" step to achieve the target....which is about 71% if I remember correctly.) These loaves were retarded in the fridge during the final rise, about 12 hours....not sure why the round one achieved less oven spring.....

KoiYSvvAcRxTfD_q78I1pwn_lK4USSLLIU6XeuAO3S3embnVp4pKDJa0jr8EjmjbRrGrYATwMk6n8GCtfK3gFP6deIe_72fFCxiJ8fML1l2YX-YCNOkbcxO2KnpFRgbORH5H0U443NrdqNl4-e8dJsJJyfx__w8G_vQ3ro0wmRyGF-5njIT7g18Q4pS6ZqSiFEtSzODWx8CWmTkU32sNWRS83SlPFdhtHyLZjm72PzAy0V-zM5nskAdgMy5rPP-xLdM7owpPZe32Gisvvrmv4SZtLlEcIbd7pYeJIxuXYGc-yszByAXgrjSCbKedgtyc8pMLVWD6M0NWbEgCZ6-b0sx3UeHrdwW_EQZc9Ie8Qy4DDp9djQ4xH6_gCLHQFsyrjvHnARV9u6VnoiQ0DNcwY0K8wtcuihWDXV_1zMKiUO5_lEKZQhA7Qwfzu7qiWeT0XRDFLgOJrLNUmQPP-xw_vjCTiDff-NHvkeKW6KZGWpOzSArdBCSWi_Y5VD6OYiSO9X0SiSGup64UuYh52_td3lBL7VvAbdhQqonVgSK_L6uulf3uPVmoERG1NZ8suo1ICEe7=w994-h745-no
Nice!
That sounds really frustrating. Is it gummy or overly moist too? Have you experimented with giving it more time in the oven? Just some thoughts, I haven't had a similar situation yet.
I go with 200F internal and I know it's done.

Kneading for 15min.

I go by feel in the end, never worried about percentages, but I wing pretty much every thing, food is where I art:D

Late to the bread game. Just tossed a half cup of water in a bowl with a cup of flour. Gonna feed this little monkey for 4-5 days and see what happens.

Made these last weekend using the 1-2-3 formulation (I believe this formulation was originally created using a 100% hydration starter, so, if your starter is higher or lower hydration, you need to adjust the amount of water in the "2" step to achieve the target....which is about 71% if I remember correctly.)

Forgive my noob ignorance. What is the 1-2-3 formulation?

I love using sourdough for my pizzas. So delicious, tonight's disappeared before a pic could be taken...

So much craziness at school I haven't made a loaf in a bit, but I will in a few nights.

My favorite thing to do with remaining baked sourdough is make little pizza bread slices. A little pizza sauce & cheese and whatever toppings make a great little appetizer. Put on a cookie sheet in a 425-450 oven for 15-20 minutes.

My favorite thing to do with remaining baked sourdough is make little pizza bread slices. A little pizza sauce & cheese and whatever toppings make a great little appetizer. Put on a cookie sheet in a 425-450 oven for 15-20 minutes.

Stradas are a great way to use up a loaf and make an easy weekend breakfast, set it up the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning.

My third attempt at a sourdough starter finally has taken off! I'll be mixing up some dough tonight to bake tomorrow afternoon. I'll post pics if it turns out as nice as some of the loaves on here.

there worst thing everytime I make Zopf (near relative of Challah) if trying to remember how to braid it, and having to decide if i'm going to do a 3 or 4 piece braid.

Loving this thread. What is a good type of bread to start off with on your first attempt. Any good info on the styles/techniques out there that someone can suggest?

Loving this thread. What is a good type of bread to start off with on your first attempt. Any good info on the styles/techniques out there that someone can suggest?

Challah is easy and awesome. Or a rustic Italian.

Back