Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made some brioche a couple days ago. I would have posted a picture of it but it became french toast quickly after that, and then it disappeared. I guess I still have half the dough in the fridge...

8C0BhMj.jpg

Tonights bake. Tasty enough

I see what you mean but no, 10% of the flour was a mix of malted rye/barley/wheat etc and the brown bits are those grains.

Oops, didn't have room in the fridge for the bowl of dough yesterday so I took a week old beer out of my fermentation chamber apparently with the probe, dough is sitting at 15F.
Wonder how it's going to fare?

watching you guys, i could not continue with the bread maker.

My first,

bread 003.jpg

lil butter, fig preserves I'm in heaven

made a second.

bread 006.JPG
my observation
slyw, is correct, hands are easier, machine gets in the way

these were made with montrachet wine yeast LOL hey,all i had, I think a real bread yeast might rise better. ya think?

Attachments

• bread 004.jpg
    bread 004.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 132
Hi all, I am new to this thread. I did a search about using yeast from an ale batch that's left in the bottom of the fermenter bucket, for making bread. Has anyone had success with it?
I milled some Maris Otter, Red wheat, and acid malt, malted grain and added pineapple juice to it try a sour dough starter, and started to wonder what would the yeast I saved yesterday from a batch of Kolsch, made with WL029 could flavor or raise a batch of bread dough?

I've used the lees from cider and mead a couple of times now - this was from the lees of my BOMM, Nottingham yeast. So it had some honey essence anyway, I added more OB honey for the rise. Very wet dough, in the fridge and then baked the next day, 1/3 whole wheat and the rest white. Sort of a "no-knead" bread (altho you do knead just a smidge to shape the dough.) It was very tasty toasted with more honey on it!!!

boozy bread.jpg

can someone point me to a sour dough starter recipe. thanks

their are lots on the web, but a tried recipe is what i seek,being a novice, i dont knead the extra hassle of fixing a lame web recipe

their are lots on the web, but a tried recipe is what i seek,being a novice, i dont knead the extra hassle of fixing a lame web recipe

Sorry I thought I read sourdough recipe:drunk:

I can send a starter, eventually, been busy and I owe one mailed out.
Haven't gotten to the post office, I apologize.

You can also go to
http://carlsfriends.net/source.html

This was my original source many years ago:mug:

Or are you asking how to make a starter?

Hi all, I am new to this thread. I did a search about using yeast from an ale batch that's left in the bottom of the fermenter bucket, for making bread. Has anyone had success with it?
I milled some Maris Otter, Red wheat, and acid malt, malted grain and added pineapple juice to it try a sour dough starter, and started to wonder what would the yeast I saved yesterday from a batch of Kolsch, made with WL029 could flavor or raise a batch of bread dough?

People have definitely made great bread with just beer yeast, and you can certainly get that from trub. However, there could also a lot of other stuff down there like hop debris and proteins, so if you are going to do it you might want to consider "washing" the yeast first.

I'm not sure what you're after with the milled grains and pineapple juice, but making a sourdough starter is as simple as mixing flour and water (feeding every day) and waiting. Chefrex posted a great link a few posts below your last.

Not a whole lot to add to this, but I will mention that when my starter is less than perfect, I've been known to throw in some instant bread yeast to perk it up. I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that from the outset when making a fresh starter.

People have definitely made great bread with just beer yeast, and you can certainly get that from trub. However, there could also a lot of other stuff down there like hop debris and proteins, so if you are going to do it you might want to consider "washing" the yeast first.

I'm not sure what you're after with the milled grains and pineapple juice, but making a sourdough starter is as simple as mixing flour and water (feeding every day) and waiting. Chefrex posted a great link a few posts below your last.

Not a whole lot to add to this, but I will mention that when my starter is less than perfect, I've been known to throw in some instant bread yeast to perk it up. I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that from the outset when making a fresh starter.
thanks for the tip.
your signature makes that song go thru my head every time i see it
good song.

Last edited by a moderator:
This past weekend, I happened to be watching one of those Saturday afternoon cooking shows with my wife. It's usually a good time for me to catch up on my sleep. However, something came on that sparked my attention. The host said, "Next we are going to make beer bread." For the non-baker like myself, here is a REALLY quick and simple beer bread recipe you can also find online at saramoulton.com :

Sara Moulton’s Beer Bread

Makes 4 Servings
Hands-On Time: 10 Minutes
Total Preparation Time: 30 to 35 Minutes
8 T (1 stick) unsalted butter
3 c unbleached all-purpose flour
3 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1 tsp table salt
One 12-ounce bottle good quality beer

1. Place an oven rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the butter in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish or pan and set it in the oven while the oven is preheating.
2. Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in the beer until it is just incorporated. (The dough will be sticky and heavy.)
3. Pour 6 tablespoons melted butter out of the pan into a cup; tilt the pan to coat the bottom and sides with the remaining butter. Spoon the bread dough into the pan and spread evenly; drizzle the 6 tablespoons melted butter over the top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the bumpy top is golden brown.
4. Remove the bread from the oven to a cooling rack; cut the bread into rectangles and serve warm.

Thank you ALL, for your taking time to answer my question! I have saved some ale yeast in a mason jar. It's been semi washed. Think I'll try it this weekend, as an experiment on the cool days ahead, to relieve a little boredom..

PROST!

One of Carl's friends sent me a dried out starter, which I'll get it going.

In the mean time, I'm going to make Jim Lahey's no knead recipe, which I've made a dozen times, for Thanksgiving dinner.

6 year sourdough bread maker here.
Interested in other peoples favorite time tested recipes.
I use the King Arthur bread flour and sometimes add a cup or more of Oatmeal.
My basic recipe for 2 loaves is :
2 1/2 -3 cups warm water
2 tbls oil. either EV olive or peanut
1/4 cup unsulphured molasses or sometimes honey depending on the bee surplus.
1/2 cup of sourdough starter warmed at room temp for a few hours
Mix in bread flour until it becomes a ball. Let rest for 20 minutes.

Knead dough while mixing in 2 tsp of salt. 5-10 minutes of kneading is plenty.
I find mixing the salt at this dry stage works
better than mixing it in the with the water for rising purposes.

My best bread as far as rising into tall loaves is w/o the oatmeal .
I do use bread loaf pans but would be interested in learning about methods
for free standing round loaves.
So far my round loaves flatten out too much.

What are your basic sourdough bread recipes ?
I don't use any dry yeast of course because that would not be authentic sourdough bread.

And if I might add, have had a lot of compliments on my bread.....

I've got one loaf on its second proof - I have been using about 66% hydration but decided to go up to 75% as my previous loaves were rather dense. I assume this will give me a loaf with a lighter structure?

fwiw this recipe was a no knead one

100g starter (100% hydration)
350g Waitrose strong bread flour
250g water
8g salt

14hour overnight rise
shape, currently resting for a couple of hours
will bake in casserole dish @250C, 30mins covered, 15mins uncovered

Back