Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made Naan tonight, sourdough of course, I have previously only
made it in the oven, tonight I did it in a skillet, came out great!
Mmmmm, fresh read in the middle of summer here I come!View attachment 278838

Looks great! I make it pretty often in the oven @ 500; I didn't know you could do it in a skillet.

Are those green bits serranos or green onions?
I usually put garlic and cilantro in my naan.

I made my first sourdough loaf. I am not going to post pictures because it's just not that pretty - it tastes good though!

I made it using our homesprouted/dehydrated/ground red winter wheat. It worked pretty well. More experimentation is needed and maybe pictures in the future.

Looks great! I make it pretty often in the oven @ 500; I didn't know you could do it in a skillet.

Are those green bits serranos or green onions?
I usually put garlic and cilantro in my naan.

Green onion and mustard seeds, medium hot, dry cast iron till
It puffed up, flip and let it go for a couple more minutes.

I made my first sourdough loaf. I am not going to post pictures because it's just not that pretty - it tastes good though!

I made it using our homesprouted/dehydrated/ground red winter wheat. It worked pretty well. More experimentation is needed and maybe pictures in the future.

Don't be shy.

Made Naan tonight, sourdough of course, I have previously only
made it in the oven, tonight I did it in a skillet, came out great!
Mmmmm, fresh read in the middle of summer here I come!View attachment 278838

Don't Indian cooks cook roti in a skillet? Different kind of bread, but still skillet made. There are a few other skillet cooked Indian Breads. Check out seriouseats.com skillet pizza. I am not affiliated with that site, but Kenji rocks. I try to reduce oven cooking in summers (deep south) and quick skillet items are always good ideas.

I always form sourdough into rounds and bake in a covered deep cast iron skillet @450. I spray some water on the dough before baking to form an awesome crust. A layer of oatmeal on the bottom of the pan stops any sticking/burnt bread. Bake covered for 25 minutes or so. Then uncover and bake for a few more minutes. The cast iron helps achieve even baking temps.

This reminds me I probably should feed the starter.

After reading & watching videos on Indian flat breads, I'm left with the thought that it's a lot like Native American fry bread so far as the dough is concerned? Wouldn't the basic dough be the same, with only the process of cooking it being different?

I'm pretty sure you've shared it before, but could you share (or point me to) your recipe?

I don't think I ever put up a Naan recipe, I use this as a base most of the time
http://www.foodieshope.org/2007/03/perfect-garlic-naan-with-gola-kurma.html
This time I just went with it,
200 or so grams starter, several spoons of my homemade yogurt, a glug of olive oil, an egg, 3and a half cups of a mix white whole wheat and bread flour, a couple tbs of salt and then enough wort to get the texture I wanted.
Not exactly bread 101 but that's how I cook:mug:

Okay, this thread was a major eye opener. I came into it doing basic "modern housewife" recipes - lots of active dry yeast, beat it to death, rise it hot and fast. Decent compared to store bought but not a lot of flavor.

Then I came to read this whole thread and several of the links including Fresh Loaf and I am now in the practice phase. This is the crumb of my first sourdough, free formed and using my own starter. Not a looker overall, but that texture and flavor is amazing, and my wife went from an "eh it's just bread" eater to "when are you baking again, we're almost out?"

The other thing I love about sourdough is I can prep it around my crazy college and work schedules with overnight and retard rises and it often helps it that way.

Thank you to every poster here, you've created another obsession.

View attachment 1432559256108.jpg

Has anybody made a garlic loaf (where there are whole cloves of garlic baked inside the bread)? I've been meaning to do one as a sourdough. My internet search shows people roasting the whole head of garlic before adding it to the dough. I'm wondering if this is necessary. I feel like the loaves I've eaten did not roast the garlic prior to baking.

I'm drying out some more sourdough starter to send to another member who reached out to me.

If anyone else is interested, feel free to shoot me a PM today and I'll pull some more out.

I'm drying out some more sourdough starter to send to another member who reached out to me.

If anyone else is interested, feel free to shoot me a PM today and I'll pull some more out.

Dumb question: how do you use dried starter? You have to grow more from it?

I made a dozen bagels last night and fed my starter. I have the sourdough fermenting now and kneading a batch of soft pretzels too. Busiest baking session I've had in a long time.

over here, many people use wooden buckets to keep ryebread(finnish style) starters.
It just dries up and then when you want to make more you just add water and flour.

I just discovered this thread, and am busy combing through 87 pages of information. Here's a pic of a two loaves I made a few weeks ago!

DSC_0004.jpg

Here's my first experiment in bread making. It is a sourdough suing wild yeast I harvested here in Puerto Rico about five months ago. It brews a very good ale. Never made bread before but I figured, what the heck:

Untitled.jpg

Just feed it flour and water, you may have to start small and step it up depending on how much you have and how fresh it is.
Curious if this process would work with ale yeast for brewing? I will be leaving Puerto Rico shortly and I have a pretty extensive yeast vault in the fridge. Don't want to throw them out but I fear TSA would ask more than a few questions if I tried to get 20 test tubes of milky white "fluid" through security!

with ale yeast, i would guess you would get problems that you would change the strain too much.

Why not mail it to yourself in a cooled box?

Curious if this process would work with ale yeast for brewing? I will be leaving Puerto Rico shortly and I have a pretty extensive yeast vault in the fridge. Don't want to throw them out but I fear TSA would ask more than a few questions if I tried to get 20 test tubes of milky white "fluid" through security!

An unknown powder should but much easier, LOL

Another round of bread following some pizza.

The ciabatta came out better but I think I made the rye bread to far in advance this time and it didn't rise enough.

I knocked out another dozen Asiago bagels today. Forgot to take a pic but they are delicious. This time I added small cubes of cheese into the dough instead of melting it on top.

I finally went and bought an extra head of garlic to finally try turning my sourdough loaf into a garlic loaf. The plan is to feed my starter tomorrow and bake this weekend.

Back