Homebrewtalk Peloton

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did my last beginner ride a week or two back, and have been increasing the regular 20 and 30-minute rides content and doing what I can to keep the resistance set to at least the middle range for a given class segment. I see this and the continued number of personal bests as evidence of improvement in my condition.

@Kent88 you have me wanting to give the laptop login a spin, as this is how my SO will eventually be connecting for stretching exercises. I should test the waters, work thru any technical issues, and level set expectations prior to her initial laptop login

Three devices to validate so she's covered on the device of her choosing: newer HP Chromebook, older WinPC laptop, and a Samsung Tab S6 Lite

@Kent88 Yeah, that's one problem with beginner rides--they're a chance for an instructor to try to introduce themselves to new riders. And hence playlists can be all over the map, because they're trying to cater to everyone.

I did my last beginner ride a week or two back, and have been increasing the regular 20 and 30-minute rides content and doing what I can to keep the resistance set to at least the middle range for a given class segment. I see this and the continued number of personal bests as evidence of improvement in my condition.

Yeah, the endorphin rush of hitting a PR is a hell of a lot of fun, isn't it?

@betarhoalphadelta there an option in user preferences to Hide Pre/Postnatal Classes that should help you out in your quest to omit these from the classes being displayed to choose from

Oh, I've done that. These are just normal Low Impact rides where it seems the instructors think you're in there because you're recovering from something. I mean, other than the occasional hangover, I'm good lol.

As an aside, apparently there's a Jenn Sherman Yacht Rock ride where she's massively hung over. I probably need to find that one and bookmark it at some point.

The bike without a membership is no different from any other stationary bike except it has a giant screen that chastises you for canceling your membership. Like it doesn't save calorie count or anything about the user. I'm surprised nobody has created substitute software that performs some of the basic functions. I use it from time to time when I want some activity but not a strenuous cardio workout. I plan to root it so I can at least use the tablet for other apps while riding. Or might end up selling it.

How is the plan to root it going?

Looks like you aren't the only one who wants to:
Peloton – Hackaday

We've got one but I've only ridden it a few times. Why? Because SWMBO hates that she has to readjust everything after I ride it. We're not the same size... :p

worked out this morning via the app on my iPhone, and completed a light strength exercise. good to have the activity and coaching in my hotel room where I likely would have stopped early and gone back to pecking emails on my laptop. definitely not as robust as working a strength session from my Bike+'s screen, but still doable in my hotel room.

tonight I ventured down to the hotel exercise room and discovered a Peloton Bike (regular model) in excellent condition. after a solid 30 min ride, a few observations on this Bike (what the hotel has) vs Bike+ (what I own) listed in no particular order

- my Bike+ has the option to auto-adjust the tension to follow what the instructor does in a session. I'd been wondering if this was really a big deal or not, and (for my preferences) I concluded that it is a big deal. more than once I found myself into the workout and music (90s pop punk, if you are curious) and failing to adjust the tension accordingly. probably something one would get used to doing, but not something I do with the auto tension feature enabled. it was a bit difficult to add a couple more points of resistance while in the midst of a fast jog

- I forgot to bring a set of running/workout shoes, and had to use my work dress Sketchers in the bike's pedal bridles. I came to realize that clipping in has a significant impact on the ability to utilize a full stroke that includes effort on the up. I lost what felt like 30% of my ability to push/pull, not to mention that it was rather uncomfortable in those dress shoes and my feet never felt fully connected to the pedal.

- the seat and handlebar adjustment values appear to be slightly different. I set the values identical to what I have on my bike at home, but it never felt right. maybe some of it was the shoes. I'm sure with time I'll get it dialed in on a future visit. the handlebar style was very similar to my home Bike+, so I don't think the shape had significant impact here

- I like the Bike+ monitor's volume adjustment on the side edge. it's super easy to quickly adjust volume up/down while in a session. I also miss the ability to adjust the content mix between more music, even music/instructor, and more instructor. the Bike+'s larger screen is also nice, but in now way a deal killer to use the smaller screen

a cool thing I wasn't expecting:

- it was super easy to login to my account using my phone's camera to scan the code box and validate my identity on the bike's session via my phone's app. my heartrate monitor and headset then easily paired, and I was off to working out almost like I was at home. this was great since I had forgotten my password, and it was locked away at home. great to be able to login and receive credit for my workout stats tonight. One click and I was logged out of the bike's session - no username/passwords to key-in on the bike's screen, so no key click counters to steam my personal login info. I had wondered if this was possible to do, and now I know

Based on this, I can now say I'm super glad I opted for the more expensive model. I'm also excited that my account is usable via app login, and that I can maintain a workout plan even when away from home for a couple days.

Bike seat setting is a surprising hindrance to my better half as well.
I offered to adjust the seat back when I was done, and was told in no way should I belittle my SO's capabilities of being able to set the settings where she prefers them to be. "please focus on things that actually matter, and allow me to not feel like you think I'm incapable of such a simple task"

finally got my new S6 Lite loaded with the Peloton app. not to difficult, but definitely a new world to learn for this first time Android user

heart rate band was easy to install direct on the Peloton app. JBL 'Peloton' earbuds took a bit of discovery with the tablet Settings - you pair headphones via general Bluetooth activity and not directly within the app. makes sense, just took some extra looking to find how to enable the tablet's pairing mode

first look is that anybody who uses their Bike or the iPhone app will find everything quite familiar. One thing is do see 'missing' is the Feed tab in the User Profile, and this is likely because it's only in Beta for the iOS and not (et) Android platform. I suspect any other differences are going to be seen in the details of interaction while in a workout, viewing history stats, and/or interaction with other users.

that's it for now

I only loaded the app last week, but today I wanted to take the dog for a longer walk again and log those minutes. So we went almost 4 miles.

I'm still having trouble figuring out how to pair my Garmin watch with the app tho for heart rate. It's already paired to the phone (Pixel 5) via bluetooth, but I suppose I have to pair it to the app separately. On the bike when I select "Ride Indoor" it broadcasts and the bike picks up on it, but I guess the app isn't set up for that.

I did not read the whole thread, but we have one at work. I work graveyards so 4am is my break and I hop on it for a quick 30 min ride. It kicks my butt, but I really like it. I feel like I got a good cardio workout in. I usually do the 80's rock ride with Kendall Toole (sp?) or the Foo fighters with Emma Lovewell. Kendall does a Metal ride that usually I will do when I am really feeling good, but that one just about kills me. LOL. Either way, I have been searching the used market to get one for home. I dig that it guides you thru the ride, gives you feedback. for the price new, it is a bit overpriced, but a used one is a bit better on the budget.

@redrocker652002 yeah, Kendall and Emma may look gentle, but they'll kill ya. If you want to try another killer lady, try this HIIT & Hills ride with Camila. Great playlist and it's my current 30-minute PR--having ousted Emma's Coldplay ride.

Kendall has a 45-minute Metallica ride I've wanted to take for a while. Apparently it is EPICALLY hard. I'm a little excited, and a lot scared, which is why I haven't done it yet.

If you're into rock music, I definitely recommend Denis, Ben, and Sam. All great instructors with great playlists. Christine and Jenn usually have great rock playlists as well, but aren't anywhere near the energy level of Emma, Kendall, Camila...

Good luck in your search for a bike! In the SF / Bay Area I'd expect that there are a fair number available, but it's densely populated enough that really smokin' deals get snatched up in a matter of hours.

Yep. She'll work ya.

I don't take many of Olivia's rides (music choices mainly), but she's another one that will crush you.

BTW congrats on 1K minutes and (assuming you do something tomorrow) reaching the January "every day" milestone!

I decided to up my minute goal for the year to 15K. I figure that 10K would be too attainable and while I was thinking of going 12K, there are no badges between 10K and 15K. So might as well try to stretch myself right?

Gosh, you two are showing me up. I missed a couple times last week.

But those are the only days I've missed since I started. I signed up for a couple challenges in February, and those seem like attainable goals.

I use the app on my Fire stick. I am not going to spend that kind of money for a bike that doesn't go anywhere...I would rather get a MTB and go enjoy being outside.

Yeah, it's hard. Mine are 15, 13, and 10, so it's easy to tell them "hey, I'm getting on the Peloton, don't do anything stupid and pay no attention to whatever you hear from the bedroom".
Can't wait for that day...

If the wife is working or something else going on i can't get a solid 10 min without something crazy going down. Well, that is my excuse...

Good job to all of you that are getting after it.

Logged in to my bike and added up my mileage since I got it for the wife for Christmas 2020, and I have put on a whopping 95 miles before this January.

I am about to pass that with what I have done just this month, but we will see if I can keep eliminating excuses why I can't ride today...

I had to do the math on that.

Wow, that is a long time in the saddle! Do you have special seat?

If I am in it for 40 min, I am getting alot of feedback from that area that it is time to quit...
Time for a different saddle, or at least adjust the tilt, or even sliding it forward or back a bit helps a lot!

Gosh, you two are showing me up. I missed a couple times last week.

But those are the only days I've missed since I started. I signed up for a couple challenges in February, and those seem like attainable goals.

Good for you! You know the best workout that someone can do?

The one that they do. Because any workout you do is infinitely better than sitting on the couch, right?

Do what you do, and from what you've said, it sounds like it's a lot more than you were doing a month ago, right?

I went from zero to intermittent for the first month and a half. At that point I committed to "every day" even if it was just a 10-minute stretch. Now I'm thinking less of "exercising" and more of "training" with my workouts.

I had to do the math on that.

Wow, that is a long time in the saddle! Do you have special seat?

If I am in it for 40 min, I am getting alot of feedback from that area that it is time to quit...

Bear in mind that 15K minutes (just over 40 minutes a day, I also did the math lol) does not mean JUST time on the bike. I try to do a 10 minute stretch most days via the Peloton app. If I'm taking my dog for a longer walk (i.e. not just 1.2 mi around the neighborhood), I log that as an outdoor walk on the Peloton app. I've been slacking, but I really intend to do more core workouts via the app, and have been considering starting yoga, which would also count as minutes. And honestly I *should* do more strength exercises in general than I do, which can also count to 15K.

Re: butt pain, there's an adjustment (soreness) period for everyone. Generally, depending on how often you ride, it's a 2-4 week thing as long as you're riding regularly. The soreness *should* go away.

And even then, I tend to stay in the saddle for most rides. If it's a longer ride (75 minutes, or even some 60 minute rides) I start to feel it.

If you go a month of pretty regular riding and you're not finding the soreness go away, then listen to @KeizerBrewr because you might have a fit issue. That could be adjustment or it could be a different saddle entirely.

I use the app on my Fire stick. I am not going to spend that kind of money for a bike that doesn't go anywhere...I would rather get a MTB and go enjoy being outside.

Yeah, it's not a cheap piece of kit. But it's getting a lot more use than the MTB that I bought several years ago and never ride lol.

I still don't regret it, though. I've done more for fitness in the last 7 months with the bike than I think I've done in any 7 month period I can recall since my teen years.

Even when I went through a period of spending a LOT of time hiking, it was weekly at best, not an every day thing. And when I went hiking with my buddy that regularly would do 10+ mile hikes every weekend as well as playing a lot of hockey, or hiking with my road cycling buddy who thought nothing of a 60-100 mile ride, they'd smoke me.

It's tough to say "I'm going to hike/cycle/etc outside" and know that you can get it done in 45-60 minutes. Often you spend nearly that much getting organized, driving to/from where you're doing it, etc. And low-intensity exercise like hiking or even MTB is hard to get a good workout in that time. If I'm going to go hiking, it's going to be 6-12 miles and it's going to take several hours.

I did talk to my coworkers / golf buddies last week when we were on the links. I know they actually go mountain biking. I think maybe we're actually going to head out and do that together at some point. Which will be fun, and will be hours of effort (rather than 45-60 minutes).

Hopefully the work I'm putting in on the Peloton will help me not embarrass myself when we go lol.

My house this morning after dropping mini-me off at school:

Mini-she: zzzzz [sleeps in carseat].
Me: I think I have time for a 30 minute ride before she wakes up.
Peloton servers: nope.
Me: ... I guess I'll do laundry and see if it's better after that.
[Time passes]
Peloton servers: hey, we're back. You wanted something?
Me: time for my ride.
Mini-she: hey, I need you first. I have a gift for you.
Laundry machine: [before I have resolved daughter's issues] hey, I don't work in this kind of cold.
Me: ... This is going to be a good day

@betarhoalphadelta - thanks! I'm keeping focused on ensuring I workout mornings if at all possible so I can keep a consistent schedule. I don't have specific goals for the year beyond this, as every day I workout is one more day than what I've done the past several years.

I got my brief strength workout done this morning before leaving the hotel room for a customer meeting. my Android app occasionally has issues connecting the Peloton heart rate monitor, so not every session has a Strive Score. Pairing is not as automatic as it is with the Bike or iOS version of the app.

I swapped to a wider, and significantly more padded seat. after a month I still was having issues with the original seat, so ordered a different one. It's wonderful!

This looks like the one I swapped for. Unsure if it's the exact one (my SO ordered the seat), but visually it looks like what installed. Was an easy swap if you have even a very limited set of mechanical skills

1675192418567.png

https://www.amazon.com/Oversized-Re...rgid=pla-1921688257183&psc=1&region_id=674469

Last edited:
I think I finally have the right workflow for consistently connecting the Peloton heart rate monitor on my Tab using the Android app

- enable bluetooh in Settings
- open the Peloton app
- go to More (bottom right)
- tap the heart rate monitor to turn it on
- tap Peloton Heart Rate Band in the app add-ons section

It's different that the simplicity of reconnecting a previously paired set of headphones. Simply turning on the heart rate monitor with the app open doesn't consistently reconnect a previously paired monitor. Opening bluetooth settings and attempting to reconnect the monitor results in an error message noting that the monitor isn't available outside the app

I'll edit this post should I discover any additional nuances to reconnecting the monitor

As mentioned, I've been slacking on core. Heck, it's important! It's one of the most important muscle groups for golf! So I signed up for the February strength challenge, and then did my first core class in a WHILE yesterday.

During the class, I was reminded how much I hate core.
Today when I woke up and started trying to roll up to get out of bed, I was reminded again how much I hate core.

I also signed up for the February strength challenge. I'm going to keep working on my arms.

Wish Peloton had better videos that were just focused on form.

I also signed up for the February strength challenge. I'm going to keep working on my arms.

Wish Peloton had better videos that were just focused on form.

It might be useful to try one of the programs. "Beginner Strength" looks like the description highlights that a portion of it is form-based to teach proper form. There's "Arms with Tunde" which is a dedicated arm program, but I'm not sure whether it's structured for beginners and focuses on form or not.

There are also "Discover Strength with Assal" that are apparently in German with English subtitles, but intended to perfect the snatch, clean and jerk, and overhead squat moves. I'm guessing those will be very form-driven since it's based on specific lifts.

If you don't want to follow the full program/schedule itself, there's a web site called Pelobuddy that will link the individual workouts from a program which you can then bookmark or add individually to your stack. If you just google search "pelobuddy <program name>" it should take you right there. I've never actually tried to take a program class outside of an actual program tho.

BTW Tunde is also a great instructor for rides. I don't do much with her (due to fewer playlists I like) but she occasionally does rock rides. So I always bookmark those when they drop and love taking her rides.

Did I mention I hate core? Still hurts from Tuesday's workout.

I decided to actually stop being a lazy bum and do some weights. Did a 20-minute Arms & Shoulders with Matty yesterday, and then a 20-minute Chest & Back with Callie today. My legs have always been my strongest area, so given all the cycling I don't think I'll spend a lot of time there. Besides I did a 90-minute PZE today that left my legs and cardio like jello, so I couldn't have done leg day if I tried lol.

I went hard with all that today because I didn't ride yesterday, and I'm not going to do anything other than stretch the next 3 days. I never work out the day before (or day of) playing golf, because fatigue screws up my swing. And I'm playing both days this weekend. So I needed to get out ahead of that.

away on a biz trip for a week, and didn't have access to any stationary bikes. yesterday and today were a bit rough on my first rides - amazing how much endurance one can lose with only a brief six days away from a daily ride.

no Camilla rides for me this week, that's for certain

Yeah, I think I picked up a little bit of a cold from my middle child. Wasn't really enough to stop me from a ride, but I picked one that was going to be a lot more chill than what I'd usually do. Since I hadn't been on the bike since Thursday, normally my first ride back I'd go pretty hard. Not today.

Today was humbling. I generally consider my legs to be my strongest area. I started doing Ben's 5 day intermediate split strength program and day 2 had a lot of dumbbell squats. I ended up having to make them bodyweight squats just to survive. 3 hours later, and my quads are still BURNING. That's already on top of my "light", "medium", and "heavy" weights all seeming to be less than I thought I could lift when you start doing 4 repeated sets of the same exercise with that weight.

At least for the split program, tomorrow's a rest day lol. For Sunday I'm going to have to lock myself in the bedroom so my wife and kids don't see me struggling, grunting, and sweating as I can barely handle sets with 10lb or 15lb dumbbells...

I had to buy some lighter dumbbells a couple weeks ago. That was very humbling. But trying to do high repetitions of what I had at a quick pace was not working for me. I could pick them up and carry them around no sweat, but trying to follow along with a video just wasn't working.

I hit a personal achievement milestone this past weekend: I have finally grown my endurance to where I am able to safely run/jog while clipped in. It took several months of working towards it, and by no means am I at a place yet where I could do a HIIT class with run/jog intervals.

Was a backwards process for me, starting with super heavy 75-80% resistance and focusing on the downward push while I built up the muscle strength to slowly lessen the resistance and use more of my leg strength in the pedal revolution. I'm now working to increase my cadence while maintaining a 45-50% resistance.

I also tried a Shadow Boxing class for cardio workout. should be a good companion to some of the lighter strength classes for when I'm on travel for work.

I must not have taken good care of myself yesterday. I completed a short low impact ride just before midnight, felt a bit tired but thought I could get an extra 10 in to keep the streak going. I did, but it wore me out more than I expected.

My quads are still shredded from Friday. As in can't get up or sit down without them crying in protest. I tried to just get them moving Saturday to work them out with a scenic ride (30 minutes in power zone 2), and didn't help. I tried to get them moving yesterday morning taking the dog for a long walk, and it didn't help. They're still destroyed enough that I'm not going to attempt a ride today. But with a strength class and a stretch today, I should hit 2K minutes so far on the year. Given that's almost half what I did in the 7 months I had the bike in 2022, I think it's an improvement.

Wednesday is the final day of Ben's 5-day strength split, and it's the next one with tons of squats. So, that's going to be taken with me being a complete baby about how aggressively I follow along lol.

I hit a personal achievement milestone this past weekend: I have finally grown my endurance to where I am able to safely run/jog while clipped in. It took several months of working towards it, and by no means am I at a place yet where I could do a HIIT class with run/jog intervals.

Was a backwards process for me, starting with super heavy 75-80% resistance and focusing on the downward push while I built up the muscle strength to slowly lessen the resistance and use more of my leg strength in the pedal revolution. I'm now working to increase my cadence while maintaining a 45-50% resistance.

I also tried a Shadow Boxing class for cardio workout. should be a good companion to some of the lighter strength classes for when I'm on travel for work.

Good stuff! I personally don't come out of the saddle much. At 260#, I don't feel stable enough unless there's a TON of resistance (65+), and it's not a lot of classes that program OOS jogs at that level of resistance. And a lot of the instructors (you hear this more in PZ classes) say that you're more efficient in the saddle anyway. You can hit higher output OOS, but you have to work a lot harder to do it.

But getting yourself to the point where you can safely do it is huge! I'm sure it's amazing to look back at what you could do just a few short months ago, and how much more you can do now!

I must not have taken good care of myself yesterday. I completed a short low impact ride just before midnight, felt a bit tired but thought I could get an extra 10 in to keep the streak going. I did, but it wore me out more than I expected.

LOL. Given the festivities yesterday I certainly didn't take good care of myself. Which is why I got all my workout in before festivities started...

Back