Homebrewtalk Peloton

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a short intervals and arms ride in last night. Was pretty good. Giving some muscles a break while working others makes sense.

When I finished up I realized it didn't count as a strength workout. I found that annoying for about 15 seconds.

Woke up this morning tired with a nasty headache. Still got a short ride in. I think I gotta quit with the late night rides, they're messing with my already poor sleep habits.

@Kent88 I had a similar experience in a Bradley Rose Intervals & Arms Ride yesterday morning. bugged me for about 5 min, as I was one 'strength' class away from a achievement level. resolved it by doing an additional strength class and all is good.

was in today's cycling class warm-up when I realized that my warm-up today was more of a workout than what I was barely able to complete when I first started this Peloton exercise journey back in Nov

Yeah, a primary ride will count as a ride, even if it has a short arms portion. In our small house, the bike is up against an exterior window and with my long arms I can't really do "& arms" rides if they have any exercises that you reach backwards. And I can't reach fully above the bike without touching the ceiling. So I skip anything that has "& arms" in the title lol.

Finished Ben's 5 day strength split today. Total baby through the squats so hopefully I didn't destroy my quads yet again. The splits are supposed to be taken repeatedly over a period, but I'm going to wait until Monday to restart and take it (or another split, perhaps) again. Gotta play golf on Sunday at a challenging course so I don't want to screw myself up.

anybody get to try out a Peloton Row yet? (Peloton® | Rowing machine with streamed Live & On-Demand classes)

my SO has been asking that we consider getting one. a rowing machine is in the 'please can we' bucket, and the Peloton interface is a huge plus for us. I may be passing near a Peloton showroom next week, and will try to make time to stop in and give on a pull

Finished Ben's 5 day strength split today. Total baby through the squats so hopefully I didn't destroy my quads yet again. The splits are supposed to be taken repeatedly over a period, but I'm going to wait until Monday to restart and take it (or another split, perhaps) again. Gotta play golf on Sunday at a challenging course so I don't want to screw myself up.
Congrats!

So I figured I would try out a live class with dumbbells this morning. I was just curious enough to see if they were different (it wasn't) that I actually decided to drag my butt out of bed almost an hour before I normally get up. My wife would be on her way out, so I figured I wouldn't be taking up the living room long with her there and she would get the idea and head out when she realized what I was doing.

I get set, turn the TV on, navigate to the app, and the trainer comes on. So I've taken over 2 dozen workouts so far, most of them with women trainers, and I felt like I had a good idea what their dress code might be: pretty much all business, maybe something that goes with the musical theme of a workout, but nothing where they're trying to show anything but their muscles off.

My wife hasn't been around while I've done these workouts until she saw the first few minutes of this morning, and what was her first impression? A young lady with easily the most revealing top of any of the trainers I've watched so far.

She didn't and probably won't ever say anything, but good grief, I was already starting off really uncomfortable because I knew I would briefly have an audience, then that. Not how I wanted to start my day.

anybody get to try out a Peloton Row yet? (Peloton® | Rowing machine with streamed Live & On-Demand classes)

my SO has been asking that we consider getting one. a rowing machine is in the 'please can we' bucket, and the Peloton interface is a huge plus for us. I may be passing near a Peloton showroom next week, and will try to make time to stop in and give on a pull

Half the reason we didn't get a Peloton sooner (my wife had been wanting one) is that we didn't have room for it. My wife "solved" that by allowing the 95 lb golden retriever to sleep in our bed, so that means the Peloton went where his dog bed was.

So we DEFINITELY don't have room for a Row lol.

So I figured I would try out a live class with dumbbells this morning. I was just curious enough to see if they were different (it wasn't) that I actually decided to drag my butt out of bed almost an hour before I normally get up. My wife would be on her way out, so I figured I wouldn't be taking up the living room long with her there and she would get the idea and head out when she realized what I was doing.

I get set, turn the TV on, navigate to the app, and the trainer comes on. So I've taken over 2 dozen workouts so far, most of them with women trainers, and I felt like I had a good idea what their dress code might be: pretty much all business, maybe something that goes with the musical theme of a workout, but nothing where they're trying to show anything but their muscles off.

My wife hasn't been around while I've done these workouts until she saw the first few minutes of this morning, and what was her first impression? A young lady with easily the most revealing top of any of the trainers I've watched so far.

She didn't and probably won't ever say anything, but good grief, I was already starting off really uncomfortable because I knew I would briefly have an audience, then that. Not how I wanted to start my day.

LOL... Looked at the On Demand classes that dropped this morning and it must have been the class with Olivia, huh?

Of course, with the changes to my body over the last 8 months, my wife would probably be like "well, whatever it takes to motivate you to work out, keep doing it."

What are they supposed to be good for? If I was to put down the kind of money they want for exercise equipment, I wouldn't want a treadmill (from any brand), and I already own both a real/outdoor and a stationary bike, so I don't really want their bike.

Is the Row more focused on upper body or something?
the Row is going to be more of a whole body workout vs a stationary bike

https://www.topfitnessmag.com/rowing-machine-vs-treadmill/https://www.livescience.com/rowing-machine-versus-treadmills
https://www.livescience.com/rowing-vs-cyclinghttps://www.livestrong.com/article/164628-rowing-machines-vs-exercise-bikes/

On the bright side, I was enough of a baby through the squats portion of the final day of Ben's 5-day split yesterday that I didn't COMPLETELY shred my quads lol.

Yesterday was my 150th ride milestone, and today was my 100th stretch. I'm way behind with strength, but a core workout today was 37. ("I'm 37?!?!") I'll work on catching up with strength, though... I haven't really done any dedicated strength exercises on a regular basis since high school, so it needs to be an area of emphasis as I get older to not feel so old.

I have been doing shorter rides, but occasionally stacking extra 10s or cool down rides, so I feel like the number of rides I've completed is deceptively high for the number of active days I've had with this service.

Got to experience some of the benefit for putting in the work the past three months - it's Spring clean-up time out in the orchard, and a task that would typically have left me headed for the couch with a beer or two didn't even cause me to break a sweat (or 'glisten' as several of the on-line instructors refer to lightly sweating) After a brief lunch I'm heading out for more, getting done in a day what used to take me 2-3 days. This even after a solid ride this morning to kick-off the day

I also broke the +20 pounds lost since beginning this journey in mid-Nov. Some diet changes, but the major feature has been pushing it hard on my daily rides.

Here's to the next 20 pounds disappearing (on my journey to a total loss goal of 85 pounds), and even greater conditioning.

Hey, it turns out I'm a few days more than halfway through my trial membership.

Mini-she has been surprisingly cooperative. There have been some days where she absolutely wasn't and I wasn't able to get a workout in, but I expected that. I had a nasty cold over a weekend and that also didn't help, either. But I've probably been active more than two-thirds of the days since I started.

Since I don't know how long she will give me each day, I have been doing shorter rides and "stacking", starting off with a 15-30 minute ride and having an extra-10 or cool down ready if it seems like it will work. Despite missing a few days riding, I've had almost as many rides as days since I signed up.

I haven't worked on my arms like I wanted. Some soreness from the first couple videos, waiting for new dumbbells to ship, and tweaking my back last week have made that a little difficult.

I think I found an instructor/trainer/whatever who doesn't strike me as too obnoxious, but I've found I can tune out most of the bad music anyway, unless they're really blaring it. The affirmation stuff is still annoying in the extra-10s, cooldowns, and the last couple minutes of most videos. I really appreciate when a trainer clearly, consistently, and predictably calls out changes to resistance and cadence.

I've worked out with several of the trainers, but I got used to Frankson. One of her Arms & Light Weights videos looked like it would be the easiest to follow along with when I read the description (I wouldn't call it easy, but she wasn't trying to cram a bunch of different stuff into 10 minutes, which I appreciated), so I rewatched it a few times and I suppose I just got used to how she does things. I also find her to be one of the easier trainers to follow along with on my Schwinn.

If I can get a workout in before the kids wake up this morning, I think I'll ride with Cliff. That will be a new experience.

Follow up: Cliff kicked my butt. Had time for a cool down afterwards.

Last edited:
Ahh, can't help too much then. I think I've only ridden with Hannah F once, because I'm usually not a big fan of her playlists. And Cliff is now starting to have more English classes, but a lot of them are gospel rides, so I haven't had a chance with a playlist I like yet.

Frankson usually keeps her music quiet enough I can ignore any lyrics I don't appreciate. I rode to one of Cliff's gospel ride videos this morning, and I wouldn't have minded if he had increased the music volume a bit so I could see what he thinks is both good gospel music and good workout music, because I haven't experienced much that would fit in the overlap of that Venn diagram.

@Kent88 I don't remember which version of the app you're using, so this is more of a question based on the app when using the Bike and also the app on my Android -

When adjusting the volume during a class session, I have three options to personalize the mix --

*More Music* - *Session Mix* - *More Instructor*

Do you have the same mix adjustment during a session, and does the more instructor option get you the low music level you're looking for?

@Kent88 I don't remember which version of the app you're using, so this is more of a question based on the app when using the Bike and also the app on my Android -

When adjusting the volume during a class session, I have three options to personalize the mix --

*More Music* - *Session Mix* - *More Instructor*

Do you have the same mix adjustment during a session, and does the more instructor option get you the low music level you're looking for?

I am not aware of such settings. I use the FireTV app. I'll have to look this up.

Ahh, that makes sense. When I use the Roku app for stretching / strength on the TV, I don't have that setting either, because I'm using TV volume controls rather than anything the app has access to. It's on the bike and I think it's on the Android/iOS apps as well, where the app knows that you're changing volume.

Celebrated my third 60-day streak with Denis' Sample That ride from last Saturday, which was fun. He played portions of old songs (a lot of Disco) and then played the modern songs (a lot of hip hop) that sampled from those songs.

Followed that up with day 2 of my second week through Ben's 5-day strength split, and a 10 minute stretch.

Now I can bask in the glory of doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING tomorrow and then starting my next 60-day streak on Friday 😂

I should follow suit and take a day off from everything to re-start a new 60-day streak, but I likely won't so I can keep the overall weight creeping downward while also creeping up the overall lean mass

Yeah, for me it's one of the ways I hold myself accountable. It's just a goal to get as many 60-day streak badges as I can. Since Peloton doesn't track streaks longer than 60 days, I go 60, take a day off, and start again. (With the exception that my last one ended about 10 days before Christmas and I only exercised maybe 70% of the days in between streaks because the holidays were freakin' busy lol).

I just figure that one day off out of every 61 isn't gonna derail my progress lol.

But you haven't earned Gold on your February strength challenge yet.

I kid, I kid. I guess I'm feeling a little better because my back pain is pretty light right now, so hopefully I will get bronze in that in the next day or two.

But you haven't earned Gold on your February strength challenge yet.

I kid, I kid. I guess I'm feeling a little better because my back pain is pretty light right now, so hopefully I will get bronze in that in the next day or two.

Tsk tsk, Kent! You're going all voyeur on our profiles but you haven't told us your username...

...and I get the sense that you're gonna continue past the 60 days, so you might as well come to terms with having followers / following lol.

---------

Anything you do specifically for the back pain? Is this chronic or just an acute tweak? On a golf forum it recently came up and everyone replying basically said "core, core, core." Other suggestions were stretching, yoga, and pilates, and also on the strength side that anything that strengthens quads/glutes/etc help too.

If back is a more chronic thing, it might be worth targeting things for that first.

I don't know. You want my medical history? Well...

I have a recurring neck issue that's been described to me in as chronic, and I feel like I should get my paperwork from the PT out and do my stretches to keep my neck in better shape since I started with this service. Last summer I had a herniated disc after a long bike ride and I'm getting a similar sensation in my arm as I had from that. But I've also done some tricep kickback exercises recently and the muscles I think I was working out are in the same area as my pain.

So is this soreness from working out muscles that atrophied while I rested from the herniated disc, or did I just mess up my vertebrae again? It isn't as painful as it was last summer, so hopefully it's just sore. If it's really bad then I will find out.

woke up excited for this morning's planned bike ride: Denis Morton's 30 minute RUSH Ride

I was about 3 min into the warm-up portion when I realized that my legs were not going to cooperate to enable me to really push at the level I was hoping for today. what started out with the intention of a hard push ride was quickly becoming a med level 'ride along and enjoy the tunes while holding a rolling sweat' level workout.

beyond my legs not aligning to plan, I also had issues getting my heart monitor to connect. I gave up on it around 10 min into the ride after multiple on/off cycles failed to secure a connection. oddly, I had no issues connecting once I completed the session.

I take a repeat of Denis' RUSH session sometime this weekend when my legs are back.

That Denis Rush ride is a great ride. I remember at the beginning of it I'm sitting there air-drumming and then I look up at the screen and Denis was sitting there air-drumming lol!

Sometimes artist rides can get a little difficult, like in Denis' Eminem ride where he fangirls all over Eminem the whole ride, or Jenn's Pearl Jam ride where she sings over Eddie Vedder for half of it, or Robin's Hamilton ride where she spends the entire 30 minutes telling us over and over how groundbreaking the show was. But this one was much more letting the music speak. One of my favorite rides.

Today I did Charlotte's Rock Ride from 1/22/23. I don't do a lot with Charlotte as I generally don't want to mess with rides in German and subtitled in English, but this is the second English-language class I've taken with her and she's a lot of fun. Just infectious positive energy. Highly recommend giving her a shot. Watch out, though, she's freakin' TOUGH.

woke up excited for this morning's planned bike ride: Denis Morton's 30 minute RUSH Ride

I was about 3 min into the warm-up portion when I realized that my legs were not going to cooperate to enable me to really push at the level I was hoping for today. what started out with the intention of a hard push ride was quickly becoming a med level 'ride along and enjoy the tunes while holding a rolling sweat' level workout.

beyond my legs not aligning to plan, I also had issues getting my heart monitor to connect. I gave up on it around 10 min into the ride after multiple on/off cycles failed to secure a connection. oddly, I had no issues connecting once I completed the session.

I take a repeat of Denis' RUSH session sometime this weekend when my legs are back.

Dang dude. But hey, at least you got a ride in with music you enjoy. You will also get an idea what it's like in case you want to rewatch it later.

I think I have rewatched one of the arms and light weights videos a half dozen times, and last night was the first time I felt like I did an adequate job following along. Kind of an interesting way to track improvement.

Looks like I'm going to hit Gold on the February Activity Challenge.

I guess being stuck inside during a blizzard has helped keep my streak alive.

Congrats! Except for that "blizzard" thing. I moved away from that and don't regret it lol ;-)

I hit gold on the February strength challenge today by completing Ben's 5-day split again.

Today was a "no ride" day because I did Fri/Sat/Sun rides. Sunday I took it a little easier on the ride because I had already taken the dog for a 3.3 mi walk, so I did Emma's 20 Minute HIIT Ride. Playlist with Prodigy, NiN, Metallica, Radiohead... That was good stuff!

BTW I didn't mention it, but I told my wife on my 61st day that I was getting anxious about not actually doing anything, so she logged in to her account for a 10 minute meditation with Cody, and I followed along. It was a "rest day" meditation, all about making you feel okay about taking a day off. Yeah... Didn't work lol.

Congrats! Except for that "blizzard" thing. I moved away from that and don't regret it lol ;-)

Yeah, my kind of people long ago told your people "no, no, it's ok. We'll take the cold part. You weren't really going to use it anyway. ", plus we don't like venomous spiders or snakes.

Did an arms and intervals ride earlier this evening. I still find it slightly annoying that they don't count as a strength workout, but really it doesn't matter. If I can't tell that part of my brain to shut up, I'll just go back to doing Arms and Light Weights videos. I feel like I'm making some good progress with those anyway.

Sunday I took it a little easier on the ride because I had already taken the dog for a 3.3 mi walk, so I did Emma's 20 Minute HIIT Ride. Playlist with Prodigy, NiN, Metallica, Radiohead... That was good stuff!
Took it a little easier to a 20-minute HIIT ride o_O

Thanks for the heads-up on this session - it's now in my stack for later this week

Back