Homebrewing Needs a Woman's Touch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait... what kind of privileges do I get? Do they include an Obamaphone? haha

You're thinking of a sousaphone, all white males get 'em.

See?

27876848.Extra20040412Img_4271Sousaphone.jpg

I've seen exactly this conversation countless times but instead of homebrewing it was about engineering, or computer science, or video gaming, or golf, or myriad other male-dominated communities.

It always amuses me when people can so vehemently argue that just because they haven't noticed a problem it doesn't exist.

NOTE: I'm not saying whether or not there is a problem with sexism on this site, I'm talking in general

Here's something that I find useful to refer to when this sort of subject comes up:

http://amptoons.com/blog/the-male-privilege-checklist/

Generally the last one is the most appropriate: "46. I have the privilege of being unaware of my male privilege"

This place is by far the least sexist place on the Internet I frequent, so people complaining about the sexism on display here is rather odd.

Stop yelling at me! You hurt my soul! Next thing you'll do is tell me my user name makes me look fat.

I am, but you don't have to tell me!

WOW. I was trying to be nice and this is what happens. Last time. This is a BEER forum.Not a gay hookup forum,take your greasy laptop elsewhere.

Sorry homebrewdad;
When I signed up way back when to join this forum, I didn't see the notice that this was a "Boy's Only" forum. I don't call my wife SWMBO (I can never remember the correct letters), Old Lady, Ball and chain, or any of the other supposedly derogatory terms of endearment. If I were to use a 'short form' it would be SWLM (She Who Love's Me) because that's how I think of her. I treat everyone on every forum I visit/join equally without asking or checking whether they are male or female (NOMB) - as a matter of fact I've just learned by reading this thread that several of the people here are female, which, if I were to believe the original post and your blog as well as a couple of the more recent posts, should have bothered me -- it doesn't!
SWLM was making wine long before I started making beer, and she still likes wine better than beer - She's the Wine-O, I'm just the Beer-O! And before you get all excited about that little gem, she always takes the first sip or two of my beer, because she has always come first for the last 50 years (Yes, some of us really do grow that old!)! I can't stand wine, and she's not partial to beer. She also makes cheese, extracts, tinctures, and kefir drinks, while I dabble in liquers and such. She doesn't have to register for the forums to keep up with all of the brewing tech and comments, because she uses my name & password to access and/or post. You never know whether it's me or her posting unless she says 'husband' or I say 'wife.' Just a rant on the supposed 'inequality' that you are saying exists. I've appreciated the comments by the ladies who "told you off" in so many words.

Sorry homebrewdad;
When I signed up way back when to join this forum, I didn't see the notice that this was a "Boy's Only" forum. I don't call my wife SWMBO (I can never remember the correct letters), Old Lady, Ball and chain, or any of the other supposedly derogatory terms of endearment. If I were to use a 'short form' it would be SWLM (She Who Love's Me) because that's how I think of her. I treat everyone on every forum I visit/join equally without asking or checking whether they are male or female (NOMB) - as a matter of fact I've just learned by reading this thread that several of the people here are female, which, if I were to believe the original post and your blog as well as a couple of the more recent posts, should have bothered me -- it doesn't!
SWLM was making wine long before I started making beer, and she still likes wine better than beer - She's the Wine-O, I'm just the Beer-O! And before you get all excited about that little gem, she always takes the first sip or two of my beer, because she has always come first for the last 50 years (Yes, some of us really do grow that old!)! I can't stand wine, and she's not partial to beer. She also makes cheese, extracts, tinctures, and kefir drinks, while I dabble in liquers and such. She doesn't have to register for the forums to keep up with all of the brewing tech and comments, because she uses my name & password to access and/or post. You never know whether it's me or her posting unless she says 'husband' or I say 'wife.' Just a rant on the supposed 'inequality' that you are saying exists. I've appreciated the comments by the ladies who "told you off" in so many words.

Da Fuq is a NOMB?

How am I supposed to know who I am talking to now? What are you wearing?

WOW. I was trying to be nice and this is what happens. Last time. This is a BEER forum.Not a gay hookup forum,take your greasy laptop elsewhere.
Can't tell if serious…

I was seriously kidding with my post to you. Well not the fat part, but everything else about hurting my soul...I have no soul. You can't hurt it. :D
I've appreciated the comments by the ladies who "told you off" in so many words.

I wasn't intending to tell him off, I do apologize if that is how it came off. I just disagree with most points he was making and also felt bad that male home brewers are somehow seen this way at all.

I have no soul. You can't hurt it. :D

The reference to lady bits makes that obvious.

I wasn't intending to tell him off, I do apologize if that is how it came off. I just disagree with most points he was making and also felt bad that male home brewers are somehow seen this way at all.

YOU TELL HIM! Or her, bless, I am not sure at this point. I dunno if I am supposed to go "Raaaahr!" or scream "Cat Fight!".

This is confusing.

" Originally Posted by Hello
Stop yelling at me! You hurt my soul! Next thing you'll do is tell me my user name makes me look fat.
I am, but you don't have to tell me!"

Maybe you are, but your avataar makes you look bubbly and tan so it's a wash.
You two crack me up!:tank::mug::D:D

I've seen exactly this conversation countless times but instead of homebrewing it was about engineering, or computer science, or video gaming, or golf, or myriad other male-dominated communities.

It always amuses me when people can so vehemently argue that just because they haven't noticed a problem it doesn't exist.

NOTE: I'm not saying whether or not there is a problem with sexism on this site, I'm talking in general

Here's something that I find useful to refer to when this sort of subject comes up:

http://amptoons.com/blog/the-male-privilege-checklist/

Generally the last one is the most appropriate: "46. I have the privilege of being unaware of my male privilege"

So, when even female members show up and say, "nope, I've never felt unwelcome, here or elsewhere", what does that say? Are they just privileged too?

Im not even sure what the heck is going on in here anymore.

The rails were designed to go that way. But we decided to see what it'd look like if we go this way. And it went hands in the air freefall after that. You see what I mean?

NOMB (None Of My Business) - whether the person on the other end of the thread is male or female!

So, when even female members show up and say, "nope, I've never felt unwelcome, here or elsewhere", what does that say? Are they just privileged too?

I would say they aren't paying attention. It may not happened here but I'd be surprised that they haven't seen it somewhere.

I would say they aren't paying attention. It may not happened here but I'd be surprised that they haven't seen it somewhere.

dude, you are where fun went to die. RDWHAHB, @hello has spoken, now backpedal while you still can. We aren't sexist, it's over.

Basically we took a thread that could have taken a very real turn, pooped all over it in good fun, brought in the humor, and declared it ours.

It was a revolt. We built this city…

THIS! We made a joke of this thread in all seriousness. You rocked out with your cock out.

Wait, that's not right.

Knocked a noob out, with a boob out?

Okay, I'm leaving now.

Hahaha that male privilege checklist is a joke right? Or more feminist dribble? Either way, I was able to laugh the entire way down at how silly it was / wrong it was.

Not sure how this site is at all sexist? in fact it seems to be the most helpful, welcoming, and pleasant sites I've ever seen.

Cheers!

ahhhem!

i assume we have exhausted all interesting discussion of the actual topic of this thread? If so, let the side topics continue.

Hahaha that male privilege checklist is a joke right? Or more feminist dribble? Either way, I was able to laugh the entire way down at how silly it was / wrong it was.

Not sure how this site is at all sexist? in fact it seems to be the most helpful, welcoming, and pleasant sites I've ever seen.

Cheers!

Male Privilege? Hah. I am frequently discriminated against, solely because of my gender.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a heterosexual male to buy you a drink at the bar when you are also a heterosexual male?

Male Privilege? Hah. I am frequently discriminated against, solely because of my gender.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a heterosexual male to buy you a drink at the bar when you are also a heterosexual male?

Don't worry, its just feminist drivel (or dribbel, if you prefer the OP's parlance)...as we established, HBT isn't sexist, therefore sexism doesn't exist. Or at least that is what one female poster has indicated.

Cheers!

You say that as if there is something wrong with being a feminist.

oh by the way OP I'm teaching two women to brew in tonight's Intro class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back