Homebrewing in NJ ILLEGAL w/o permit!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/war...f/2011/12/new_jersey_bill_eliminates_per.html

[First Reprint]

ASSEMBLY, No. 4012

STATE OF NEW JERSEY

214th LEGISLATURE

INTRODUCED MAY 19, 2011

Sponsored by:

Assemblyman CRAIG J. COUGHLIN

District 19 (Middlesex)

SYNOPSIS

Eliminates permit requirement for home production of wine and beer for personal use.

CURRENT VERSION OF TEXT

As reported by the Assembly Law and Public Safety Committee on November 21, 2011, with amendments.

An Act concerning the production of wine and beer and amending R.S.33:1-75 1and supplementing Title 33 of the Revised Statutes1.

Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:

1. R.S.33:1-75 is amended to read as follows:

33:1-75. a. [The director may, subject to rules and regulations, issue special permits authorizing the manufacture by a person who is 21 years of age or older, within a home or other noncommercial premises, of wines or malt alcoholic beverages in quantities not exceeding 200 gallons per calendar year for the person's personal or household use or consumption.] Deleted by amendment, P.L. , c. (pending before the Legislature as this bill) 1.1

b. The director may, subject to rules and regulations, issue special permits authorizing the manufacture of wines in an instructional winemaking facility by a person who is 21 years of age or older, residing within or without this State, in quantities not exceeding 200 gallons per calendar year for the person's personal or household use or consumption.

c. The director shall, by regulation, establish a reasonable fee to cover the costs incurred in issuing the special permits required by this section.

d. A person manufacturing wines 1[or malt alcoholic beverages]1 pursuant to this section shall not be liable for any tax imposed under the "Alcoholic beverage tax law," R.S.54:41-1 et seq.

(cf: P.L.2007, c.329, s.2)

12. (New section) a. A person who is 21 years of age or older may manufacture within a home or other noncommercial premises wines or malt alcoholic beverages in quantities not exceeding 200 gallons per calendar year for the person's personal or household use or consumption.

b. A special permit shall not be required to manufacture wines or malt alcoholic beverages pursuant to this section.

c. A person manufacturing malt alcoholic beverages pursuant to this section shall not be liable for any tax imposed under the "Alcoholic beverage tax law," R.S.54:41-1 et seq.1

1[2.] 3.1 This act shall take effect immediately.

If I moved to NJ, there is no way in the world I would get a permit. Once you've got one*, if the political winds blow that way, they can just tax the life right out of you, or decide to revoke it.....and then if they decide to come a' knockin', they know just where to find you. I don't think so.

*NB: This can be applied to ANY permit: brewing, kite flying, owning guns or CCW....there's food for thought in it.

Yep, once you are in the system for it, you are boned.

I saw this on facebook the other day, me and many of my homebrewing friends had no clue about this permit. I was reading through it and it says that you are now allowed to distribute your own wine. Does anyone know if this applies to beer too? That would make it a lot easier for anyone to open a micro/nanobrewery in NJ.

the distribution of wine is only for licensed wineries. not home wine. the limit under federal law is still 200 gallons for personal use.
"Only wineries that produce a maximum of 250,000 gallons a year would be able to sell and ship directly under the bill. All farm wineries -- where grapes are grown and fermented -- would be eligible."

If I moved to NJ, there is no way in the world I would get a permit. Once you've got one*, if the political winds blow that way, they can just tax the life right out of you, or decide to revoke it.....and then if they decide to come a' knockin', they know just where to find you. I don't think so.

*NB: This can be applied to ANY permit: brewing, kite flying, owning guns or CCW....there's food for thought in it.

Also why I refuse to buy licenses for my dog.

Ah New Jersey, the armpit of America.

You beat me to it. I saw this thread and this is exactly what I was going to say. But then, I live in Masshole land. So, tough for people like who live in glass houses to throw stones. But at least we can brew beer without a fee. For now. Don't give Deval Patrick any ideas.

Back