SoCal Homebrew Fest Needs Your Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't see anyone providing donation receipts, nor do I recall overhearing anyone discuss it.

That is unfortunate. Since the law change I have been donating beer to several charity events. These charities have always given me a donation receipt for tax purposes. It is small thing that shows the charity actually values and appreciates your donation.

Lame ass government, once more sticking their dirty grubby hands into our everyday lives and hobbies where it is of no concern :/

That is unfortunate. Since the law change I have been donating beer to several charity events. These charities have always given me a donation receipt for tax purposes. It is small thing that shows the charity actually values and appreciates your donation.

The CHA isn't a charity, is it?

Reading the text of AB 2609, we were allowed this event as a bona fide exhibition, not as a charity.

The CHA isn't a charity, is it?

Reading the text of AB 2609, we were allowed this event as a bona fide exhibition, not as a charity.

Well the CHA is a legal 501c (3)....educational non profit IIRC. In fact that the only way to get a one day alcohol permit is to be a legal non profit. The reason the law was written that way was so that any ol' homebrew club couldn't just say they are going to have an "exhibition".
Maybe it is just me...but if I am going to go through the trouble/expense of brewing up some kegs I would rather donate them to a charity event that can make some money. I know up in Humboldt they have an event called Homebrew for Hunger. It is a bunch of clubs/individuals that pour homebrew and all proceeds go to a charity. Plus the brewers get in free. Personally I would really like to see the SCHF go in that direction.

Well the CHA is a legal 501c (3)....educational non profit IIRC. In fact that the only way to get a one day alcohol permit is to be a legal non profit. The reason the law was written that way was so that any ol' homebrew club couldn't just say they are going to have an "exhibition".
Maybe it is just me...but if I am going to go through the trouble/expense of brewing up some kegs I would rather donate them to a charity event that can make some money. I know up in Humboldt they have an event called Homebrew for Hunger. It is a bunch of clubs/individuals that pour homebrew and all proceeds go to a charity. Plus the brewers get in free. Personally I would really like to see the SCHF go in that direction.

Phunhog,
I like your idea and brought it up with the board. We are looking into it for next year. There are two separate sections in the new law. We were not pouring under the charity section, but rather the exhibition. There is no fund raising and the beer is consumed by the members. We need to reach out to a tax person and clarify whether the beer can be a tax donation. If it can, then perhaps we can provide the forms. At any rate, I am glad you are brewing for the charities, they sound like they are doing good work.

Back