SoCal Homebrew Fest Needs Your Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
subbed and seriously considering leaving the grandmother of all nanny states in this country.

April 4, 2014

Dear California AHA Member,

Your action is needed now to ensure passage of AB 2609. (Note: bill text will be amended from what is currently posted.)

Last year, the California legislature passed a well-intentioned bill, AB 1425, which had the unfortunate consequence of making it illegal for nonprofit homebrewer organizations to host homebrew events like the Southern California Homebrewers Festival and the AHA National Homebrewers Conference in the state of California.

If passed, AB 2609 will once again allow the California Homebrewers Association to organize the Southern California Homebrewers Festival, an annual event attended by 2,000 homebrewers that had to be cancelled this year due to the change in law. Without passage of AB 2609, the AHA may be forced to cancel or relocate the 2015 AHA National Homebrewers Conference planned for San Diego.

How You Can Help

AB 2609 is scheduled for a hearing before the Assembly Governmental Organization Committee on Wednesday, April 9 at 11:00 a.m. Please send a signed letter of support for AB 2609 addressed to the chair of the committee, Assembly Member Isadore Hall, III, as an attachment to an email to AB 2609 sponsor Assembly Member Brian Nestande’s Chief of Staff Nanette Farag. If any of the committee members represent your district, please also send a letter addressed to your Assembly Member.

You may use this sample letter (see below my signature) to customize your own letter of support. It is important to be polite and respectful in your message.

In addition, please call the Assembly Member for your district and request that they support AB 2609.

Thank you for your support of homebrewers. Your action could make the difference in whether or not this legislation becomes law. Please forward this message to other California residents and businesses that may be interested in supporting this bill.

Sincerely,

Gary Glass
Director
American Homebrewers Association
April 4, 2014
Honorable Isadore Hall, III
Capitol Office
P.O. Box 942849
Room 3123
Sacramento, CA 94249-00964

Dear Chair Isadore Hall, III:

Subject: Please support AB 2609

I am requesting your support for AB 2609 on behalf of California’s homebrewers.

Homebrewers love to share with and learn from one another. California’s homebrewers have been fortunate to have events like the Southern California Homebrewers Festival and the Northern California Homebrewers Festival. These events strengthen the homebrewing community and help individual homebrewers refine their craft.

Unfortunately, the passage last year of AB 1425 led to the cancellation of the 24th annual Southern California Homebrewers Association Festival scheduled for early May, and could threaten the 37th annual American Homebrewers Association National Homebrewers Conference planned for 2015. Passage of AB 2609 would restore the ability of homebrewer organizations to host events for homebrewers.

Please show your support for California’s homebrewing community by passing AB 2609.

Sincerely,

NAME/ADDRESS

This is HUGE!! It will continue to open more doors for craft beer and homebrewing.

I support this. I will fire off a letter tomorrow but if it does not make it by the deadline here is my vote for it.

Anyone have an actual email that those of us not of the fine state of CA can send our requests directly? You do not have to post it outright which could cause an influx of spam and really hurt the cause, but if someone can find one and pm it to me I will fire it off. The "Contact Us" page on Assemblyman Isadore Hall, III's webpage will not accept my contact because I am on the right rather than left coast. I want to do my part and may well have to give a call tomorrow if I cannot find another way to voice my support. For those of you who want to contact him (who was named in the above letter here is what his site registers as contact information which I believe should be okay to post. Do your part, and thank you LRB for keeping us up to date on this.

Capitol Office:
State Capitol
P.O. Box 942849
Sacramento, CA 94249-0064
Tel: (916) 319-2064
Fax: (916) 319-2164

District Office:
2200 W. Artesia Blvd.
Suite 210
Compton, CA 90220
Tel: (310) 223-1201
Fax: (310) 223-1202

Anyone have an actual email that those of us not of the fine state of CA can send our requests directly? You do not have to post it outright which could cause an influx of spam and really hurt the cause, but if someone can find one and pm it to me I will fire it off. The "Contact Us" page on Assemblyman Isadore Hall, III's webpage will not accept my contact because I am on the right rather than left coast. I want to do my part and may well have to give a call tomorrow if I cannot find another way to voice my support. For those of you who want to contact him (who was named in the above letter here is what his site registers as contact information which I believe should be okay to post. Do your part, and thank you LRB for keeping us up to date on this.

Capitol Office:
State Capitol
P.O. Box 942849
Sacramento, CA 94249-0064
Tel: (916) 319-2064
Fax: (916) 319-2164

District Office:
2200 W. Artesia Blvd.
Suite 210
Compton, CA 90220
Tel: (310) 223-1201
Fax: (310) 223-1202

Maybe fax? I think there are fax for free sites. I don't have one to recommend, has anyone used one?

Our new bill made it over yesterday's vote. On to appropriations next. We are making progress. Vote was 19-0.

UNOFFICIAL BALLOT
MEASURE: AB 2609
AUTHOR: Nestande
TOPIC: Home brewers and home winemakers.
DATE: 04/09/2014
MOTION: Do pass as amended and be re-referred to the Committee on
Appropriations.
(AYES 19. NOES 0.) (PASS)

AYES

Hall Nestande Achadjian Bigelow
Campos Chesbro Cooley Dababneh
Gray Roger Hernández Jones Jones-Sawyer
Levine Medina Perea V. Manuel Pérez
Salas Waldron Wilk

NOES

ABSENT, ABSTAINING, OR NOT VOTING

I am happy that it has, so far, passed unopposed but I do have some reservations. I was reading the minutes of the meeting the lawmakers want some changes to the bill....unless I am reading it wrong. One of the changes is that only members of the non profit can attend the festival:confused: How is the homebrew club or non profit (brewing related) supposed to raise any money? As a homebrew club member am I being expected to not only pay my local homebrew club dues, brew beer for the festival, but then also PAY for the privledge of drinking my homebrew...or any other homebrew. What I would like to see happen is that every club gets 4 free tickets. They can dole them out however they like. Or at least you get 10 dollars off your ticket for every keg you bring to the fest. Otherwise I think I will just come and drink and leave my beer at home......or at least in the campground.

I didnt read the entire thread, but in case this link hasnt been posted yet the ABC has provided a Q&A document detailing responses to the passing of AB1425.

LINK.

Two things have come up from this that are complicating our local clubs. One, you cannot bring homebrew into a manufacturer or retailer's space for consumption - meaning no club meetings with homebrew at a brewery.

Second, no demonstrating homebrewing. I was scheduled to demonstrate how to brew at a local non-profit event in Manhattan Beach next month but after a back in forth with an ABC employee he made it very clear to me that this would be illegal.

If you haven't read the Q&A you should. If it was posted before my apologies.

I didnt read the entire thread, but in case this link hasnt been posted yet the ABC has provided a Q&A document detailing responses to the passing of AB1425.

LINK.

Two things have come up from this that are complicating our local clubs. One, you cannot bring homebrew into a manufacturer or retailer's space for consumption - meaning no club meetings with homebrew at a brewery.

Second, no demonstrating homebrewing. I was scheduled to demonstrate how to brew at a local non-profit event in Manhattan Beach next month but after a back in forth with an ABC employee he made it very clear to me that this would be illegal.

Thanks for the link!! Just wondering how the ABC is prohibiting the homebrew demonstration? It would seem to me that in a worse case scenario you just don't pitch the yeast. You can't have beer without yeast....but I doubt the ABC knows this;) Basically you are just producing wort until yeast is introduced. In a demonstration that would be easy to "skip" and just explain the step. I wonder if they allow apple juice on premise since that could become hard cider......

Q. Can licensees host homemade beer or wine competitions or other similar events at their
licensed premises?

A. No. Business and Professions Code section 25607 prohibits licensees and any other person from
having upon licensed premises any alcoholic beverages other than those which may be sold at the
licensed premises pursuant to the license issued. Since homemade beer and wine may not be sold by
permanent licensees, such beer or wine may not be possessed on licensed premises. This prohibition
applies whether the license is a manufacturing license (such as beer manufacturer or winegrower) or a
retail license (such as a bar or restaurant).

Q. Can “home brew” supply stores make homemade beer or wine for demonstration purposes?

A. No. The law provides that beer or wine may only be produced without a license in a “household”
for “personal or family” use. Beer or wine produced at a “home brew” supply store or any other
similar location for any purpose, including demonstration, would not comply with this provision.

Wow, these two are just terrible. No more homebrew competitions at breweries and no more shop brews? Wtf....

LINK.

Thanks for the link!! Just wondering how the ABC is prohibiting the homebrew demonstration? It would seem to me that in a worse case scenario you just don't pitch the yeast. You can't have beer without yeast....but I doubt the ABC knows this;) Basically you are just producing wort until yeast is introduced. In a demonstration that would be easy to "skip" and just explain the step. I wonder if they allow apple juice on premise since that could become hard cider......

The demo thing does seem pretty absurd. I think you could probably get away with doing what you said, or just say you are making barley and hop soup. The ridiculous methods to circumvent this piece of the interpretation of the law should be enough to identify how stupid this interpretation is to begin with.

Q. Can licensees host homemade beer or wine competitions or other similar events at their
licensed premises?

A. No. Business and Professions Code section 25607 prohibits licensees and any other person from
having upon licensed premises any alcoholic beverages other than those which may be sold at the
licensed premises pursuant to the license issued. Since homemade beer and wine may not be sold by
permanent licensees, such beer or wine may not be possessed on licensed premises. This prohibition
applies whether the license is a manufacturing license (such as beer manufacturer or winegrower) or a
retail license (such as a bar or restaurant).

Q. Can “home brew” supply stores make homemade beer or wine for demonstration purposes?

A. No. The law provides that beer or wine may only be produced without a license in a “household”
for “personal or family” use. Beer or wine produced at a “home brew” supply store or any other
similar location for any purpose, including demonstration, would not comply with this provision.

Wow, these two are just terrible. No more homebrew competitions at breweries and no more shop brews? Wtf....

I don't think this is "no more" of either... The text of AB1425 doesn't change these things at all. I am guessing these were illegal before AB1425 passed. This portion of the FAQ is related to ABC interpretation of the existing laws.

1. The prohibition of homebrew at breweries or restaurants mentioned above is from an entirely separate (and presumably already-existing) statute. Which sucks, because that basically makes it illegal to have a homebrew club meeting at a restaurant, brewpub, or brewery if you're going to bring in your own beer to share.
  2. Existing law does only provide for beer/wine to be produced at home for personal/family use. I think a demonstration is probably a VERY gray area, particularly if you don't add yeast until the beer is brought home. That hinges on exactly what the legal definition of "production" entails.
  3. "Shop brews" are clearly not provided for. Homebrew shops that produce and serve beer without a license are clearly not "homebrewers" within the scope of the law.

None of this is new. It sucks, yes. But it's not new.

I don't think this is "no more" of either... The text of AB1425 doesn't change these things at all. I am guessing these were illegal before AB1425 passed. This portion of the FAQ is related to ABC interpretation of the existing laws.

1. The prohibition of homebrew at breweries or restaurants mentioned above is from an entirely separate (and presumably already-existing) statute. Which sucks, because that basically makes it illegal to have a homebrew club meeting at a restaurant, brewpub, or brewery if you're going to bring in your own beer to share.
  2. Existing law does only provide for beer/wine to be produced at home for personal/family use. I think a demonstration is probably a VERY gray area, particularly if you don't add yeast until the beer is brought home. That hinges on exactly what the legal definition of "production" entails.
  3. "Shop brews" are clearly not provided for. Homebrew shops that produce and serve beer without a license are clearly not "homebrewers" within the scope of the law.

None of this is new. It sucks, yes. But it's not new.
Hmm, I am not sure about that. A local craft beer bar even checked with the ABC to see if he would be allowed to have a homebrewers bottle share. They gave him the go-ahead. This is definitely all very confusing!:confused:

Hmm, I am not sure about that. A local craft beer bar even checked with the ABC to see if he would be allowed to have a homebrewers bottle share. They gave him the go-ahead. This is definitely all very confusing!:confused:

Maybe it's because I worked for governmental agencies all my life I can understand. CA is a big state and I hate to say it but it depends on who you talk to and how you present your question. One office of the ABC says one thing and another has a different opinion. A lot of questions we bring up as homebrewers are not cut and dry and it requires someone to interpret the law as they see the law.

One problem could be we keep asking permission. We should probably just do what we want and see if they try to enforce. We actually are not a priority by a long shot, and they are not going to send an agent to watch a demo at the lhbs. But if we ask, they answer. (Huge events I can understand asking as there is so much planning and money at stake). Fight on. Send those letters! :mug:

One problem could be we keep asking permission. We should probably just do what we want and see if they try to enforce. We actually are not a priority by a long shot, and they are not going to send an agent to watch a demo at the lhbs. But if we ask, they answer. (Huge events I can understand asking as there is so much planning and money at stake). Fight on. Send those letters! :mug:

I saw a tweet from Mike "Tasty" McDole.........he said that the CA ABC ".....is like a dictatorship with no army" when it comes to homebrewing.

The new bill is making its way through the process. Meanwhile, since this weekend *should* have been fest but for the actions of the ABC...here are some alternatives: (just not the same)

We've just added several more beer events happening around Southern
California over the next few weeks. Go to
http://www.calhomebrewers.org/?page_id=3725 to see all upcoming events!

May 2-4 ? Spring Fling at Lake Morena
May 2 ? Tap Takeover at Ojai Beverage Company
May 3 ? Belgian Beer Tasting at Stuffed Sandwich
May 3 ? Brewing Demonstration at More Beer
May 3 ? Sabroso Craft Beer and Taco Festival
May 3 ? Big Brew Demonstration at Surf Brewery
May 3 ? Lunch with the brewers at Alosta Brewing Company
May 3 ? North County San Diego Brewery Tour
May 4-10 ? Inland Empire Beer Week
May 4 ? Beer and Brunch at Lounge 22
May 4 ? Brewing Demonstration at Hydrobrew
May 4 ? Battle of the IPA's at 909 Pub and Grill
May 8 ? Hops and Hogs Pig Roast at Pappas Artisanal
May 9 ? Steal the Glass at The Royal Falconer
May 10 ? Tap Takeover at Pacific Wine Merchants

Super excited that so far the bill has received zero opposition and looks like it will pass easily!! Though honestly I am a little disappointed in the language. If I am reading it right if a non-profit homebrewing club wants to hold a fundraiser they can only invite members? The same members who donate the beer? So basically you are asking members to donate beer and then buy a ticket so you can drink your donated beer? Just seems weird....

The bill made it through the Assembly and is now in the Senate. First reading done. I believe there are three readings, a vote/consent calendar, then if it doesn't get any amendments that need to reconciled with the Assembly version it should go to the Governor.

Where we are now: Engrossing and Enrolling. This means that upon final passage by both houses, the Engrossing and Enrolling Clerk enrolls and transmits this legislation to the Governor and the Secretary of State, respectively.

CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : A.B. No. 2609
AUTHOR(S) : Nestande (Coauthors: Mansoor, Waldron, and Wilk)
(Coauthor: Senator Knight).
TOPIC : Home brewers and home winemakers.
HOUSE LOCATION : ASM
+LAST AMENDED DATE : 07/01/2014

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 08/11/2014
LAST HIST. ACTION : Senate amendments concurred in. To Engrossing and
Enrolling.
COMM. LOCATION : SEN APPROPRIATIONS
COMM. ACTION DATE : 06/23/2014
COMM. ACTION : Senate Rule 28.8.

TITLE : An act to amend Section 23356.2 of the Business and
Professions Code, relating to alcoholic beverages.

August 22, 2014

Dear California AHA Member,

On Thursday, August 21, Governor Jerry Brown signed AB 2609, a bill to allow homebrewer organizations to host homebrew events in the state of California like the Southern California Homebrewers Festival and the AHA National Homebrewers Conference. The new law goes into effect January 1, 2015.

Thank you to everyone who communicated with legislators over the past year in support of this legislation. Particular thanks go to the bill sponsors: Assembly Members Brian Nestande, Allan Mansoor, Marie Waldron and Scott Wilk, and Senator Steve Knight, as well as Nanette Farag and Tim Townsend from Assembly Member Nestande’s staff. Thanks also to Christy Elshof and the California Homebrewers Association for spearheading this effort.

Sincerely,

Gary Glass
Director
American Homebrewers Association

Thanks for all the letters you wrote. Its not a perfect law, and its a shame the ABC made us waste so much time an effort by over-reaching in the first place. Nonetheless, it looks like the festival (and NHC San Diego 2015) can proceed.

Awesome! Just when I thought there was no hope for this state, we do get it right once in a while! :mug:

wow im surprised as well. looking forward to 2015 and the Southern California Home-brewers Festival and the AHA National Home-brewers Conference

Interesting. All the sponsors were Republicans. Both houses are 2/3 Democrat and a Democrat Governor. Looks like the parties can work together for good occasionally. Now if they could stop eroding gun rights. Just an observation; don't flame.

The Southern California Homebrew Festival returns the First weekend in May! You need to be a member to buy a ticket. (Membership is currently $10 for the rest of this year and next, and the festival tickets will be sold separately to members only). It will be held at Vail Lake Resort. It is going to be a great festival! Thanks to everyone who helped get the legislation passed to allow us to return.

The Southern California Homebrew Festival returns the First weekend in May! You need to be a member to buy a ticket. (Membership is currently $10 for the rest of this year and next, and the festival tickets will be sold separately to members only). It will be held at Vail Lake Resort. It is going to be a great festival! Thanks to everyone who helped get the legislation passed to allow us to return.

Happy to see that it is taking place again.....but bummed it is moving down to Temecula. Probably won't go....especially with the NHC happening the following month. I like that the SCHF is just for "us" but would still would love to see a homebrew festival that is open to the general public. It would seem like with the number of beer festivals it is a distinct possibility.

Fest is fast approaching. Ticket sales have to stop early (April 17th), just a heads up. http://www.calhomebrewers.org/2015-schf-registration-now-open/

Thanks again to everyone who helped bring it back.

With the new law change I have an idea that would be of great value to the membership. The CHA is a registered non profit (charity). So any donations I make to the to the CHA would be deductible on my taxes. This includes cash (membership dues) as well as "in kind" donations such as beer for the upcoming festival. It would be great if the CHA handed out some sort of donation receipt to all the brewers for tax purposes.
I have been donating beer to local charity events since the law changed. They usually send me a nice letter thanking me for my donation that I can use for tax purposes. It is probably too much for the CHA to right a personalized letter to each donor but a generic receipt like what you get at Goodwill would probably work. Something to consider.....

With the new law change I have an idea that would be of great value to the membership. The CHA is a registered non profit (charity). So any donations I make to the to the CHA would be deductible on my taxes. This includes cash (membership dues) as well as "in kind" donations such as beer for the upcoming festival. It would be great if the CHA handed out some sort of donation receipt to all the brewers for tax purposes.
I have been donating beer to local charity events since the law changed. They usually send me a nice letter thanking me for my donation that I can use for tax purposes. It is probably too much for the CHA to right a personalized letter to each donor but a generic receipt like what you get at Goodwill would probably work. Something to consider.....

I have no idea whether the beer at fest could be a tax deduction, but I will forward your suggestion to the complete board.

There should be little change to your circumsatnces and I do belive you are completely correct that it is the ABC's interpritation that is wrong
62.gif
49.gif

Still looking into your question. Just a thought: one difference is that this is a members only event, closed to the public, and the donors drink all the donations. There is no selling the beer for a charity here.

Still looking into your question. Just a thought: one difference is that this is a members only event, closed to the public, and the donors drink all the donations. There is no selling the beer for a charity here.

Well that is something that has always seemed a little weird. Not only do I have to bring beer I have to buy a ticket to drink my beer:drunk: At Casitas I knew a ton of people who went who didn't brew or even bring beer. Yet we paid the same price for a ticket. The whole "members only" is really only a way to get around the law. Charge 10 dollars for a membership plus 25 dollars for a ticket vs. 35 dollars for a ticket. Going forward the ABC has determined that yes.....the SCHF is "selling" beer as a charity because money is changing hands otherwise they wouldn't require a one day license.
It just seems like providing some sort of donation receipt is the right thing for the CHA to do. They are a fully registered 501c3 and any and all donations cash or "in kind" should be fully tax deductible as the law allows. Thanks for persuing this!!

I think the hardest part of the receipt/tax deductableness would be placing a value on the homebrew donated. Since Homebrew is not typically sold (by law) what scale would these donations be based off of? The Macrobrews where a bottle is <$1 a bottle, or are we getting up to the craft pricing of something ridiculous like Heady and go $8 for a 12 oz portion? Maybe by cost of ingredients? but then again that would be a pain to determine and file.

I think the hardest part of the receipt/tax deductableness would be placing a value on the homebrew donated. Since Homebrew is not typically sold (by law) what scale would these donations be based off of? The Macrobrews where a bottle is <$1 a bottle, or are we getting up to the craft pricing of something ridiculous like Heady and go $8 for a 12 oz portion? Maybe by cost of ingredients? but then again that would be a pain to determine and file.

You are right it could be difficult but that part is on the donor. Just like when I donate stuff to Goodwill they just give me a receipt with what I donated. It is up to me to assign a value to the donation. When I did my taxes I only write off the supplies that go into making the beer....since it doesn't have any commercial value.

Ended up not going to the fest but curious if they provided donation receipts......

Back