US Law: 100 Gallons of Homebrew Per Year - Fines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the dipsh!ts that post on FB "Facebook is stealing your information again!!!!"

Ah, the amount of stuff that Facebook steals that you don't give them = 0.

HA! I actually did an experiment on facebook to prove this point. I posted random words from time to time to see what sort of advertisements would pop up on the side bar. I got ads that pertained to most of those random words. For instance I posted the word "cigars" and now I get cigar adds. So, yeah they are definitely phishing with the bait people throw out there!

All I'm saying is if you make more than the limit, you should keep that info to yourself.

This, right here. Homebrewing is considered next to moonshining by some people so as a community I think we have to act in a responsible manner to avoid public scrutiny.

The only way to get yourself busted would be to purchase enough engredients and equipment to make some group think you coulndt possibly not be selling your hooch.

I typically go 4 mph over the speed limit. Is it illegal? Yes. Do I get pulled over? Nope. I also don't flip off the cops when they go by. Most law enforcement officers prefer to not have to bust people. It is a ton of paperwork and possibly a court date. If you are within reason then they don't care. If you are being reckless or have the wrong plates for the area then you are toast. Don't brag about brewing a thousand gallons of beer last month if you live in Alabama and all should be well.

old post ... but I had to chime in. I wish I had time to brew 100 gallons/year! Actually when you think about it that really isn't too much. I should check my brew sheets for last year and see what i brewed I'd be curious. I guess I never really though about it. Twice a month would put you over the limit if you were doing all 5 gallon batches. I bet i know what the Punishment/Fine would be. They would send my buddy over (he's a cop) and he would drink all my beer. Man if it was warmer in the winters here i would brew something close to 100 / year but when it's -10 outside i like to be inside and all grain indoors would be too big of a Pain in the A$$.

old post ... but I had to chime in. I wish I had time to brew 100 gallons/year! Actually when you think about it that really isn't too much. I should check my brew sheets for last year and see what i brewed I'd be curious. I guess I never really though about it. Twice a month would put you over the limit if you were doing all 5 gallon batches. I bet i know what the Punishment/Fine would be. They would send my buddy over (he's a cop) and he would drink all my beer. Man if it was warmer in the winters here i would brew something close to 100 / year but when it's -10 outside i like to be inside and all grain indoors would be too big of a Pain in the A$$.

100 gallons a year works out to roughly 2 pints or 3 12 oz bottles every single night. It's definitely a fair amount. I brew about 100 gallons a year, give or take (still legal if I go over since my wife ups the limit to 200 gallons a year even though she doesn't drink beer :p) and with commercial beer on top I can't keep up with how much I brew without either giving a bunch away, stopping drinking commercial beer entirely, or getting yelled at for drinking too much.

Latest posts

Back