Homebrewing Illegal in Utah!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogerdoct

Reaction score
Behind the "Zion Curtain" of Northern Utah.
:confused: Last night on Channel 13 News (Salt Lake City) I saw a story about homebrewing. The City of South Salt Lake, Utah is pondering putting a law on their books making it illegal to homebrew! :mad: The news interviewed one of the employees at our local Homebrew Supply Store (The Beer Nut) in Salt Lake City. According to Utah law, one needs a "License" to manufacture any alcoholic beverage. But, nobody will issue this license to homebrewers... So technically us Utah homebrewers are breaking the law, even though it isn't enforced. Selling of homebrewing supply's and equipment is not illegal (thank God!) What is funny about this is, the City of South Salt Lake is riddled with prostitution, murder, meth labs etc. You'd think the city would want to go after the real criminals instead of picking on us simple homebrewers... Fortunately I don't live in South Salt Lake! Just another example of oppression behind the "Zion Curtain" ! :eek:
Roger "Doc". :cool:

That's why I would never move to Utah.... (although, multiple wives..... hmmmm)

That is fairly selfish of them that they wont even allow you to make your own homebrew. I mean that is just denying you your rights

rogerdoct said:
What is funny about this is, the City of South Salt Lake is riddled with prostitution, murder, meth labs etc.
Well you know, prostitution, murder, drugs...those are all pretty much victimless crimes, right. ;) But brewing beer...that is downright evil, and something has got to be done about it! :mad:

rogerdoct said:
:rolleyes: Just remember, with multiple Wive's comes multiple Mother's In Law's!!! :eek: No thanks... :mad:
Roger "Doc". :cool:

GAH! and with no homebrew to fall back on......

nah, forget it. I am never going to Utah.

I was in Utah last summer for about 10 days (not Salt Lake City, but Zion, Moab and Richfield) and had this pretty good local porter from Wasatch Brewery called "Polygamy Porter"! Their slogan was "Why have just one?" I thought it was awesome if somewhat irrelevant to this thread. . . :rolleyes:

Land of the free eh, you were better off with us :D well in Utah anyway.
Better put some more smilies in :D in case someone thinks I'm being serious.

Roger.

RogerN said:
Land of the free eh, you were better off with us :D well in Utah anyway.
Better put some more smilies in :D in case someone thinks I'm being serious.

Roger.

I enjoyed your humor! Yeah, the whole Puritain thing still hampers us here in the US! Maybe King George was onto something... ;)

OTOH, when our President is a 'reformed drinker' and 'born-again Holy Roller', who doesn't understand the basics of stem cell research... Well, I won't belabor the point. I believe we get the govenment we deserve.

Besides, as Wanda Sykes says, (paraphrasing) "He doesn't really seem like he's a bad person. It's just hard to take him seriously when he laughs that little 'heh-he-he-he-heh-heh'... like he just tied a damsel onto the railroad tracks!"

OTOH, Roger, your pubs close at 11pm, don't they? Where I live, in Chicago, you can drink at a bar 'til 4AM!

So, who's really being repressed?! ;) John Lennon said it best... "Imagine all the people..."

OTOH, Roger, your pubs close at 11pm, don't they? Where I live, in Chicago, you can drink at a bar 'til 4AM!

[/QUOTE]

Got me there :eek: .
It is possible to drink here until 4am but as you say the pubs usually shut at 11pm. There's a big debate here at the moment about the introduction of 24 hour opening.
Binge drinking is the "new" epidemic here, although i've been doing it for 20 odd years :D
There's a simple solution stop selling Binge.
Most of my drinking is done at home now, it's closer to the toilet and my bed :D

Roger.

Before I had my motorcycle wreck and my visit with God, before the national economic collapse and ensuing philosophical rethinking over my lifetime priorities,
I used to ride 'Old Thunder' up to a 'bar'.
Actually it was an old boxcar out under some trees in the country.
The boxcar was just a place to ride the old motor to late at night,
to actually stay off the roads and avoid the traffic, the cops, and all.
The boxcar, it was alright to drink till 2:00 which was alright with me.
Actually I had my flask and a few bottles in my pack so I didn't spend much money there.
One time I was pulled over for speeding, and the cop asked me where I had been. I don't lie and told him I had been up to the boxcar.
{He knew where I had been anyway and respected me for not lieing to him as cops listen to lies all day, and hate them.}
He said that I seemed kinda drunk and I replied by walking over to old Thunder and pulled the keys handing them the cop saying here,
just mail these to me, I can come and winch the motor in the back of my truck tomorrow, done it a hundred times."
He asked how far I would have to walk home, an I looked off into the distance saying, "Ohhhhh.... 3-4 mile ... as the crow flys."
A couple of hours."
He just handed the keys back and said just be careful and I said yesssir.
Cranked up old Thunder and boomed for the farm, and to have me a beer.
Of course.

The point of all that is,
that with the new economic state of things or lack of it,
People can't drive around and drink beer all the time like they used to be able to. Municipalities make their money preying on people driving around and drinking beer. Predators of the worst kind they are.
They are supposed to be working for us, not aginst us!
However staying at home and drinking ones own beer and ale is the new lifestyle of choice for old Knife.

{Anyone want to split a barrell of pale?}

{Need a Homemade Knife?}

Blacksmith Jack

I personally believe that all the real Puritans are dead.

Why are they conjured up when it comes to archaic laws? Chances are "they" are blaming "them" whenever "they" can't come up with a good reason for outlawing "something". Could they be the "THEY" everyone hears about?

I think the key to Utah's homebrewing law is that it's easier to catch homebrewers. They're right there at home, where they feel safe. With hookers and murderers and drug dealers, you'd have to go out on the streets. It's dangerous there! Let's just yank some poor guy out of his kitchen!It seems that the Moral Majority( which is neither) is alive and well in Utah.

someone must have had thier "holy magic undies" in a bunch when they came up with that idea. i know a few Mormons, and they have really strange views on alcohol and caffine.

Just slithered out of bed this morning, scrambled up some eggs and pork rines, then got on this danged old forum. Dude, this is a funny one.

I spied this shirt a few days back, at my local brewery while drinking a couple of mudhouse stouts (a rich coffee stout). It said, "God made beer because He loves us and wants us to enjoy ourselves." Good stuff.

The problem with all these churchy people is this: they attempt to seperate themselves from us unchurchy and try to make themselves feel more holy by abstaining from God's many pleasures. Therefore making our good creator out to be some old cranky goat! Where is the greater sin here?

I'm an avid beer connoisseur, because I love good times with friends and family, and the feel of beer rolling down my throat. Now mind you, I'm not a drunk - but I do savor my suds.

But most importantly I respect and love the One who gave me the ability to even enjoy things in the first place. Not only was he thoughtful enough to do that, but He got a kick out of making us smart enough to make beer - good beer. On top of all that He gave me everything (His Son), so I could be right with Him - at peace with my maker. He's got my respect. Cheers! :cool:

If God drank beer what would He drink?

"I'm an avid beer connoisseur, because I love good times with friends and family, and the feel of beer rolling down my throat. Now mind you, I'm not a drunk - but I do savor my suds.

But most importantly I respect and love the One who gave me the ability to even enjoy things in the first place. Not only was he thoughtful enough to do that, but He got a kick out of making us smart enough to make beer - good beer. On top of all that He gave me everything (His Son), so I could be right with Him - at peace with my maker. He's got my respect. Cheers! :cool:

If God drank beer what would He drink?[/QUOTE]

I'm with you brother. Let's see, Jesus's first miricle was to turn the water into wine at a wedding feast. In fact the wine was so good, the guests commented that they'd done differently than most who would have saved the lesser wine for last after everyone was too far gone to notice.

Then at the last supper, Jesus told his deciples that he would not drink wine again until he had it with them at his father's table.

Seems to me that there will be consumption in Heaven boys.

My guess that if God was to drink a beer, it'd be as Scottish 60/-. It's a good secession beer not too strong and plenty of that rich maltiness ballenced with light bitterness.

Back